Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Collective Identity 2012-13
Transcript of Collective Identity 2012-13
The study shows that newspapers such as the Daily Mail show negative representation youth and that the only time Youth are represented in a positive way is when a teenager as died. Anthony Giddens Lyotard Paul Riceour Angela McRobbie Dick Hebdige Deviancy Amplification Moral panic Folk devils Maffesoli Danah Boyd Gramsci Linda Papadopolous Reg Bailey Hoodies and altar boys study Eden Lake - deep secluded forests represents the
youths alienation. Yet also shows how they are distant from society and lack morals. A Clockwork Orange - Stanley Kubrik this is seen where alex and his friends murdered a woman who was alone in a mansion. ultra violence. RUBBISH Stanley Cohen Barnardos campaign to stop demonsation of youth White girl- Leah - experiences different cultures and tries on different identities.
Goes against the norm of representing youth - Challenges the hegemony. She is trying to escape her old lifestyle and create a new one for herself. "yobs, feral and virus's" This Is England - Challenged and reinforced hegemony.
Characters - challenge the stereotypical view on youth.
Whole film - reinforces that youth are aggressive. Richard "Dick" Hebdige is an expatriate British media theorist and sociologist most commonly associated with the study of subcultures, and its resistance against the mainstream of society. Anthony Giddens, Baron Giddens is a British sociologist who is known for his theory of structuration and his holistic view of modern societies. 1. Media representations of British youth focus on negative representations, demonising young people Media texts such as "Eden Lake show moral panic of youth in society, this can be seen when one of teenagers tortured the older guy because he accidentally killed one of the teenagers dogs, this then shows the conflict between youth and adult world this shows that youth are being agressive as they resort to violence when adults could resolve issues in a more conservative way. In a more similar way this can be seen in the hunting advert by Barnardos, where adults view youth as demons in the society. Hoodies and Altar Boys Study by Women in Journalism
found that 50% of regional and national papers wrote about youths and crime.
Reviewed over 8000 articles and found-
"Yobs" was used 529 times
"Thugs" was used over 200 times.
Asked 1000 men and boys aged 13-19
-Over 85% of boys said that the negative representation of youth in media has made them afraid of other boys.
-Two types of moral panics- youths as victims and youths as a threat. Clockwork Orange represents youth as violent, through the acts of violent crimes. Youth is also represented as isolated from the adult world, through the relationship of the lead character and that of his parents. There are also representations from Maffesoli's theory of 'tribes' with the characters being in a 'gang' lead by a leader, dressing the same, and therefore seeking their identity through their dress sense. Hoodies or Altar boys study - 50% of coverage surrounding youths was about crime. Words such as 'feral' and 'yobs' were used to describe them. -The Bailey Review- Report title: letting children be children. Young people grow into their role models. theorist who claimed women were sexualised in the media and shouldn't be shown to children -Grand narratives have collapsed.
- Grand narratives are dead, the meanings that we get from grand narratives such as class, gender no longer give us meaning. We are consequently lost, without a narrative. Positive representations. Media representations of role models. Negative representations. Eden lake- shows youths as 'feral' and criminal, adheres to the idea of 'broken britain' and gang culture. Youths are represented as isolated from the adult world and in conflict with both the adult world and other youths. Mafessoli talks about how youths constructe their own identities through the media and consumerism. This is shown in This is England as through Shaun buying the clothes to fit in with the punk subculture he is using consumerism in order to form and establish his identity. Laura Malvy.
'The male gaze'
Voyerism Hoodies and Altar Boys. -Identity politics.
-Mass culture has disintegrated
-Proliferation of lifestyle cultures.
-Small niche groups
-Live in a time of tribes
-We express identity through consumerism
-Different groups Fishtank
- the lead character is portrayed as violent/ferrel fighting with other girls on her estate.
- violence of parents, shows the segregation between adult and teenage world.
- seeking new identity through media consumption Deviation Amplification Spiral, media creates a ambigious persona around young people which creates moral panic and represents youth as folk devil. - Cohen Media representation of youth. Facebook can be seen as a way of constructing identity. Facebook enables youths to present themselves in certain ways through interactive means such as liking pages on the site. By doing this they a projecting aspects about themselves which they want people to use to understand them as a person. Leah is shown to break hrough social barriers to create her own identity. Panic due to our views from the way the media represent about youth. Stanley Cohen -Studied online behaviour and identity
-Social networking and avatars Fish tank- White Girl. Youth are in search of belonging This is england: Introduced to a tribe/ subculture (skinheads) Finds somekind of belonging. White girl- collective identity, wants to be part of the muslim community despite her white working class background. Young people are represented as lacking role models/ in search of role models. This is England suggests that young people are directionless, this becomes apparent when Shaun adopts the skinhead culture. Young people are represented as in search of identity. This is presented in the films White girl and This is England. In white girl we see Leah literally try on different identities, her trying on the Hijab sets her apart from the identity of her working class family and lifestyle. In This is England we also see Shaun trying on the identity of the skinhead subculture portrayed through the purchase of his Doc Martin style boot and Fred Perry polo shirt. Search for identity by trying
different morals and costumes. This is England - All characters seem to be lacking a father figure. The only character who has any sense of direction from an adult figure is Shaun with his mother. Thus he looks up to Woody for meaning and direction. White girl - The mother and father in white girl are seen as negative role models. Creating herself through interests. About a Girl - Her only role model is her father who is shown once or twice in the clip where he is rejecting her, not wanting the responsability of looking after her.
The film highlights that she has no direction and is isolated from any role model. You could argue that the only role model the short film shows her to look up too is Britney Spears, which is suggested through her friends singing on the bus and the start. Angela McRobbie claimed hoodies are a
result of rap music. The music is connoted
with violence and danger, and therefore this represenation is reflected in the hoodie. Shown through the study of the 'Jacky magazine' Bricolage The idea of Leah (White Girl) trying on identitys
reinforces Dick Hebdige's post modernist view that
"STYLE IS RETAINED YET THE MEANING IS LOST!" White girl, shows a character who is lacking a role model, as she has no male influence. Adults are seen as a negative influence. Taking aspects of
interests & life to create a
indentity. young people are deamonised; negative representations of british youth can create a division between the adult community and young people. interested in youth culture and its percieved threat to social order, Cohen conducted an experipent whereby he
examined the difference between that of youth and adult culture. MEDIA AMPLIFYING SOCIAL ANXIETIES, WHICH CREATES FOLK DEVILS AND MORAL PANIC! Being the only "White Girl" in schoo, she
goes to find somekind of belonging.