Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of The Jesuits
They were founded by Ignatious of loyola in 1534
What they did
The ignatian order's mission was to convert people to catholicism
They were theology teachers
Who are they?
1) The Jesuits were to be at the disposal of the pope.
2) They were to go wherever he ordered them to go to save souls.
3) They were never to accept a bishopric etc. unless the pope ordered it.
4) They were to wear no special habit.
5) There were to be no special mortification’s, e.g. no fasting without a medical report.
6) They were excused from communal prayer and masses.
7) All members were to take the three traditional monastic vows. An elite would take a fourth vow of direct obedience to the pope if he sent them on a foreign mission.
8) Faith was to be spread by preaching, spiritual exercises, charity and education in Christianity.
The Jesuit constitution
1.) Become aware of God's presence
2.)Review the day with graditude
3.)Pay attention to your emotions
4.)Choose one feature of the day and pray for it
5.)Look toward tomorrow
Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty,
my memory, my understanding
and my entire will,
All I have and call my own.
You have given all to me.
To you, Lord, I return it.
Everything is yours; do with it what you will.
Give me only your love and your grace.
That is enough for me.
*The Spiritual Exercises are a combination of meditations, prayers, and contemplative practices developed by St. Ignatius Loyola to help people deepen their relationship with God.
*For centuries the Exercises were most commonly given as a long retreat”of about 30 days in solitude and silence.
*In recent years, the most common way of going through the Exercises now is a “retreat in daily life,” which involves a months long program of daily prayer and meetings with a spiritual director.
* The Exercises have also been adapted in many other ways to meet the needs of modern people
-The Jesuits are a preistly order who dress like a normal civilian would
- Jesuit priests are very involved in the community
- Some help out the poor such as feed them and give them shelter
Five-step daily examen that Ignatious took
. N.p.. Web. 3 Mar 2014. <http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/prs/stign/prayers.html>
. N.p.. Web. 3 Mar 2014. <http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/jesuit-order-established>.
Trueman, Chris. N.p.. Web. 3 Mar 2014. <http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/Jesuits.htm>.
Differences from others
What makes the jesuits unique
- All of the priests are well educated (bachelors degree or higher)
- They dress like most people would not in the robes
-Their lives were devoted to the sick, prostitues, poor, etc.
-At the Gesu church Jesuit priests every saturday feed food to the homeless
By: Sam, Isabelle, and Melanie
2012. 0. <http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/302999/Jesuit>.