Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
DSA Spelling Inventory
Transcript of DSA Spelling Inventory
Developmental Spelling Analysis
DSA Spelling Inventory
Spelling inventory utilized to determine developmental spelling stage:
Letter Name Spelling
Within Word Pattern Spelling
Syllable Juncture Spelling
Derivational Constancy Spelling
Beginning of the year:
Feature Lists (Form A) to find target level
4th begin at Within Word
5th begin at Syllable Juncture
Mid-Year: Feature Lists (Form B) to see progress
End of Year: Feature Lists (Form A) to see growth
What/When to Administer…
* Become familiar with the spelling inventory.
* Make the students comfortable by letting them know that it will not be graded
and will only be used to see what you still need to teach.
* Give students the materials.
* Say the word, read the sentence, say the word again.
* Let the students know that the words will get progressively
difficult and that they should try his/her best.
How to administer…
Score each response using the following point systems:
2 = entire word is correctly spelled.
got for got
1 = targeted feature is correct; entire word is not.
jat for j et
0 = targeted feature is incorrect
chip for sh ip
(Answer sheet and Answer Card)
FIGURE 2-5. Interpreting stage scores on the Feature Inventory.
Source: Ganske, K. (2000). Word Journeys. Assessment-Guided Phonics, Spelling, and Vocabulary Instruction. Guilford Press. NY, NY.
* Note: Because there is no prior list at the letter name stage, spellers with feature knowledge that indicates letter-sound association, such as B or BT for bet, may be considered early letter name spellers.
Tally each word with a score of 2 (max score of 25)
Determining Stage Scores
Here’s where it got a little tricky… for me at least.
The letters after each word on the answer card correspond with a specific spelling feature.
ie: the five words with K are assessing long vowel patterns in the SJ Stage.
For each Feature letter count the words with a score of 1 or 2.
Analyzing Feature Performance
Use with Stage of Development List
Find a system that works for YOU!
it would be helpful to organize the papers by spelling stage first.
Start entering students in the derivational constancy stage and make your way down the pile of papers.
Record the stage and feature scores
Determining TOTAL inventory score
Add all scores in the gray columns for a total score between 0-100.
You can use the data to…
focus your spelling/sorting stations/centers
Monitor progress of targeted students.
Using the data…