Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
What's Eating America
Transcript of What's Eating America
By Michael Pollan
America should not depend so much on synthetic nitrogen
because synthetic nitrogen causes more problems instead of fixing them
Ammonia nitrate is a farmland fertilizer that World War II uses (poison gas)
F1 hybrid can make corn fields explode. (It did in the 50's
Causes F1 hybrid is the greediest plant because it consumes more fertilizers
Usable nitrogen on earth had at one time been fixed by soil bacteria living on the roots of leguminous plants (like peas or alfalfa or locust trees) or, less commonly, by the shock of electrical lightning, which can break nitrogen bonds in the air, releasing a light rain of fertility.
Therefore it is better to use natural nitrogen to grow crops.
Speaker- Journalist, grown male, food lover, activist, American, naturalist
Occasion- Informational, critique
Audience- Activist, nutritionist, scientists
Purpose- To inform and persuade the key to reducing our dependence on synthetic nitrogen is to build a more diversified agriculture
Subject- Depending on the synthetic nitrogen in our agriculture
Tone- Bland, bloodless, passionate
: The author writes about corn and uses scientific evidence. Wants to reduce on being dependent on nitrogen and a more diversified agricultural.
: Have a sense of realization and revelation about what is in our food
-it is the building block from which ratare assembles amino acids, proteins, and nucleic acids
-The heat and pressure are supplied by prodigious amounts of electricity, and the hydrogen is supplied by oil...(process of nitrogen in living things)
-"farm can now be managed on industrial principals...." one problem with fadroins as opposed to biological systems, is that they tend to pollute.
-"...during WWI, Haber threw himself into the German war effort, and kept his chemistry alive.
-F1 hybrid is the greediest of corn consuming more fertilizer than any other crop.
Suze D. & Eric H.
-The flood of synthetic nitrogen
-F1 hybrid corn is the greediest of plants
1. The author's tone in the passage as a w hole is best described as...
2. In paragraph 13, which of the following rhetorical strategies is most in evidence?
a. Process Analysis
c. Comparison/ contrast
3. The principal contrast employed by the author in paragraph 16-18, is between....
a. Farms and factories
b. fossil fuel and hybrid corn
c. corn and algae
d. farmers and organic farmers
4. In paragraph 9 line 2, contain which of the following?
a. extended examples
b. short examples
5. In context, the word "the corn people", In paragrpah 1, refers to which of the following?
a. The Old World
b. Central America
c. Descendants of the Maya living in Mexico
d. South America