Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Perfect Menu
Transcript of The Perfect Menu
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 pinch red pepper flakes
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large (28 oz) can whole peeled tomatoes,
preferably San Marzano variety
fresh cracked pepper
6-8 fresh basil leaves
crumbled feta cheese"
("Marathon Training Recipes." AskMen) I NGREDIENTS "1-Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
2-Add red pepper flakes and garlic, sauté until tender, careful not to brown.
3-While tilting the pan away from you, add the entire contents of the canned tomatoes to the pan. Using the back of a wooden spoon, break apart the whole tomatoes.
4-Season the sauce with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste.
5-Reduce heat to medium and allow sauce to simmer and reduce while the pasta is cooking.
6-Add pasta to boiling water and cook until just under al dente, about eight minutes.
7-Using tongs, remove the pasta from the boiling water, draining off excess water, and add to the sauce.
8-Toss the pasta thoroughly in the sauce to coat the spaghetti and finish cooking, about one to two minutes.
9-Remove from heat.
Carefully stack, roll and slice the basil leaves into long, thin strips. Add a generous portion of the pasta and sauce to each serving plate. Top with crumbled feta and fresh basil. Serve."
("Marathon Training Recipes." AskMen) Sources "Marathon Training Recipes." AskMen. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Mar. 2013. <http://www.askmen.com/sports/foodcourt_400/493_marathon-training-recipes.html>. "Nutrition for the Athlete." Nutrition for the Athlete. N.p., n.d. Web. 2 Mar. 2013. <http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09362.html>. METHOD HOW TO MAKE "1. Heat 1 tsp olive oil and add the mushrooms. Saute until the mushrooms wilt down. Ingredients Notes: M T omato sauce with M ushrooms "1. Use any dry herb of
choice. 2. If using fresh tomatoes,
blanch and puree the tomatoes. 3. It keeps well for a few days in the fridge. 4. Olive oil is preferred, but use any oil on hand." "1 tsp + 2 tsp olive oil
2 cups chopped mushrooms
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup chopped onion
28oz can crushed tomatoes (See Notes)
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp italian seasoning
Pepper" ethod 2. Mushrooms are done. Remove and keep aside. 3. To the same vessel add 2 tsp olive oil and add the onions and garlic. 4. Onions and garlic are cooked. 5. Add the crushed tomatoes and cooked mushrooms. Bring to a boil. 6. Add dried basil, italian seasoning, salt and pepper. 7. Simmer for 15 minutes for the flavors to mingle. 8.Tasty sauce ready to have with pasta or spaghetti. Enjoy!" How to make An Angel
Food Cake Ingredients: "1 1/2 cups egg whites
(about 12 large eggs)
1 cup plus one tablespoons sifted cake
1 1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract"
"How to Bake: Angel Food Cakes (with Recipes)." The Prepared Pantry. "Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (after step 1).
1. Separate the eggs before heating the oven (see tips), adding the whites to a liquid measuring cup until you have 1 1/2 cups. It will take about 12 large eggs.
2. Sift the flour before measuring. If you do not have a sifter, use a whisk to fluff the flour before measuring. Add about half the sugar to the flour and sift again.
3. Beat the egg whites in a large bowl, adding the salt and the cream of tartar to the whites as soon as they become foamy. Continue beating. As soft peaks begin to form, add the remaining sugar and extracts. Beat until peaks form. 4. Using a spatula, gently fold the flour and sugar mixture into the egg white foam with “over and up” motions. Be sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl for the flour mixture will sink. Mix only until the flour is moistened. Working the batter longer tends to drive the air bubbles from the foam and reduces the cake's volume.
5. Scrape the batter into a ten-inch tube pan and bake immediately. Bake for 45 minutes or until the cake is done.
6. When the cake is removed from the oven, immediately invert the tube pan on the counter. Many tube pans have legs for this purpose. If the tube pan does not have legs, invert the pan over a narrow-necked bottle inserted into the tube."
("How to Bake: Angel Food Cakes (with Recipes)." The Prepared Pantry.) "How to Bake: Angel Food Cakes (with Recipes)." The Prepared Pantry. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Mar. 2013. <http://www.preparedpantry.com/howtobakeanangelfoodcake.aspx>. ("Cooks Joy." Cooks Joy RSS.) ("Cooks Joy." Cooks Joy RSS.) ("Cooks Joy." Cooks Joy RSS.) "Cooks Joy." Cooks Joy RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Mar. 2013. <http://cooksjoy.com/blog/2012/04/basic-tomato-sauce-with-mushrooms.html>. J u s t f i c a t i o n Athletes achieve peak performance by training and eating a variety of foods.
Carbohydrates stored in the body is what athletes benefit most from.
Body fuel can also come from fat.
An athletes need for protein may increase due to exercise.
Water is a vital nutrient for athletes. Dehydration can cause muscle cramping and fatigue. Carbohydrates are known as ready source of energy. For instant energy, an athlete must have a lot carbohydrate in their diet. So, whenever an athlete feels that he/she has energy depletion, he/she can automatically use the ready source of energy from their carbohydrate intake. Fat is known as the stored source of energy. Excess fat is stored in the body as energy for later use. So whenever an athlete uses up all the energy from the carbohydrates, he/she may experience fatigue. At that time, the stored fat in the body is slowly used up as energy. Thus, an adequate amount of fat in the athlete's diet is vital. Fat may contribute as much as 75% of the energy demand Protein is also very important for athletes as it also provides lots of energy after carbohydrates and fats. Protein is mainly used up during heavy exercise. Protein is vital for the elongation and expansion of the body muscles. Also, it helps to maintain the strength and coordination of the muscles. An athlete's diet should contain about 10-12% of protein. Spaghetti French bread Carbohydrates QUICK FACTS Fat Protein Angel Food Cake Ice cream So an athlete should drink AT LEAST 8 glasses of water a day. Vitamins and minerals are very important for maintaining a healthy body which leads to a healthy lifestyle. Vitamin A and D are fat soluble vitamins which may be obtained milk or other dairy products. These vitamins are important for the eyes and the bones. Vitamin B and C are water soluble vitamins which are found in fruits and green leafy vegetables. Vitamin B is important for memory, skin, mouth sores and also other important functions of the body. Vitamin C is very important for the skin and teeth. Minerals such as iron is found in dairy products which is very important for the formation of blood in the body. This is why vitamins and and minerals are important for athletes. Strawberries Parmesan Cheese Dinner For a Vegetarian looking to build Muscle Mass Tofu burger with lentils/tomato sauce poured over, rice cakes with almond butter.
Oatmeal cooked with protein powder and almond milk, add fruit and nuts if calorie content allows.
Salad with tofu, nuts, quinoa and avocado. ("Vegan Muscle Building - Can It Work?") "Vegan Muscle Building - Can It Work?" Muscle & Strength. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Mar. 2013. <http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/vegan-muscle-building-can-it-work>. How to make a TOFU BURGER Ingredients "- 1 piece firm tofu (taukwa), approximately 350g
- 1 small red onion, sliced finely
- 1 sprig coriander (leaves only), sliced finely
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, sliced very, very finely
- 1 red chilli (deseeded), sliced very finely
- 1/3 cup sharp cheddar or parmesan, grated
- Pinch of paprika or cayenne pepper
- Pinch of pepper
- Pinch of salt (taste test as you go because sharp cheeses can be very salty)
- Breadcrumbs (I toasted 4 slices of bread and blitzed them in a food processor)
- Vegetable oil
- 4 burger buns
- Butterhead lettuce or baby romaine leaves
- Tomato slices" Method "1. Mash tofu till crumbly. Add copped onions, coriander, kaffir lime leaves, chilli, cheese, breadcrumbs and paprika. Mix well and taste test.
2. Season with salt and pepper accordingly (at this point, I added more parmesan! Yum!).
3. Shape mixture into 4 patties, and flatten them gently using your palms. 4. In a frying pan, under a small-medium flame, heat the vegetable oil. The oil/pan must not be too hot because the bread crumbs in the patty will burn.
5. Panfry the patties till crisp and golden brown on both sides.
6. Slice your burger buns horizontally and lightly butter both halves. You can also use other spreads like mayonnaise or dijon mustard. For me, I mixed a dash of wasabi with Japanese mayo, and used that in lieu of butter.
7. Now it's time to assemble your burger! Place some lettuce leaves on top of the bun, followed by the tofu patty, and then with tomato slices. Then cover it with the top half of the bun, and you are ready to dig in!" "The Little Teochew: Singapore Home Cooking: Homemade Tofu Burger." The Little Teochew: Singapore Home Cooking: Homemade Tofu Burger. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Mar. 2013. <http://www.thelittleteochew.com/2011/08/homemade-tofu-burger.html>. ("The Little Teochew: Singapore Home Cooking: Homemade Tofu Burger." The Little Teochew: Singapore Home Cooking: Homemade Tofu Burger.) "The Little Teochew: Singapore Home Cooking: Homemade Tofu Burger." The Little Teochew: Singapore Home Cooking: Homemade Tofu Burger. JUSTIFICATION Dairy Dairy foods are a good source of several important nutrients, such as protein, vitamins B and D, and particularly, calcium. Dairy foods are the best source of calcium. Calcium is necessary for building bones and teeth as well as maintaining bone mass. Someone who eats a good proportion of dairy in their daily diet is unlikely to have calcium deficiency. Over the course of a person's life, calcium deficiency can result in a disease known as osteoporosis, which is the breakdown and loss of bone tissue. The calcium found in dairy foods not only helps prevent bone loss and dental decay, but it can also reduce the risk of having high blood pressure and colon cancer. Dairy is one of the most important things in a vegetarian's diet as they need it more than non-vegans. Milk Almond Butter Protein "Importance of Dairy in a Diet." LIVESTRONG.COM. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Mar. 2013. <http://www.livestrong.com/article/197145-importance-of-dairy-in-a-diet/>. Meat, poultry, fish, dry beans and peas, eggs, nuts, and seeds (proteins) supply provide many nutrients, such as protein itself, vitamin B, vitamin E, iron, zinc, and magnesium. Proteins are called 'building blocks' of the human body, as they are the cause of growth for bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, and also the formation of blood. They are also 'building blocks' for enzymes, hormones and vitamins. Also, protein is one of the three things in the body that provide calories. The vitamin B found in protein help the body release energy, helps in the formation of red blood cells, helps build tissues, and it is also very important in the nervous system. Iron, which is also found in protein, is used to carry oxygen in the blood, so protein is absolutely necessary for survival. Magnesium is used in building bones. Zinc helps the body's immune system. And so, particularly for vegetarians, protein is a must. Tofu Nuts Lentils Oatmeal cooked in protein powder "Why Is It Important to Make Lean or Low-Fat Choices from the Protein Foods Group?" Choosemyplate.gov. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Mar. 2013. <http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/protein-foods-why.html>. Dinner For a iabetic eenager D T "4 oz grilled salmon fillet topped with 1 1/2 Tsp olive oil blended with 1 garlic clove
6 oz potato mashed with seasoning. Served with peas and spinach.
1 medium glass of fruit juice."
How to prepare salmon with olive oil "Step 1
Remove the salmon from the refrigerator.
Pat the fillet dry with paper towels.
Rub or brush olive oil evenly over each side of the salmon fillet.
Set the salmon aside for 30 minutes to allow the fish to come to room temperature. Method Step 5
Preheat the broiler for about 10 minutes.
Brush olive oil evenly over the broil pan.
Set the salmon fillet on the broil pan with the skin side down.
Place the broil pan in the oven about 4 inches from the heating element.
Cook the fillet for about 6 to 10 minutes, or until the fish looks opaque and flakes easily when the tines of a fork are pressed into the flesh." JUSTIFICATION A diabetic person's diet is different from an average person's diet. A diabetic person cannot produce the proper amount of insulin which is needed in the body to maintain the normal blood sugar level. A normal person's body automatically produces insulin after a meal. Since a diabetic person cannot produce insulin, the meal must be taken in such a way that normal blood sugar level is maintained. Salmon with olive oil is ideal for a diabetic person. Salmon will provide protein and the olive oil will provide vitamins and it is cholesterol free. Protein is necessary for maintaining the bones and the muscles. A diabetic person should avoid red meat as it contains triglycerides and cholesterol. A garlic clove helps to maintain the blood pressure. 6 oz of mashed potato will provide the adequate amount of carbohydrate. Carbohydrate provides the body instant energy. Excess carbohydrate in a diabetic person will increase the blood sugar level. Spinach will provide fiber which helps in digestion. The peas provide vitamins, which is vital for maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Medium amount of fruit juice will provide an adequate amount of vitamins and minerals. These are very important for maintaining haemoglobin in the blood. It is also important for eyes, healthy bones, skin, and teeth. Too much fruit juice which contains fructose can increase the blood sugar level. So, it is important to have an adequate of fruit juice. Diabetes Fruit Juice Mashed Potato, Spinach, Peas Salmon, Olive oil and Garlic "Diabetic Diet." Diabetic Diet. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Mar. 2013. <http://www.everydiet.org/diet/diabetic-diet>. ("Diabetic Diet." Diabetic Diet) ("How to Broil Salmon Using Only Olive Oil." LIVESTRONG.COM.) "How to Broil Salmon Using Only Olive Oil." LIVESTRONG.COM. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Mar. 2013. <http://www.livestrong.com/article/540776-how-to-broil-salmon-using-only-olive-oil/>.