Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Sustainable Development
is that which
MEETS THE NEEDS
the ability of future generations to
MEET THEIR OWN NEEDS
Good standard of living...
a livable world
a viable world
a fair world
WASTE 15,000 lbs.
OF FOOD EVERY SECOND. This
IS EQUAL TO
of food production for
ENTIRE SUB-SAHARAN AFRICA."
"Running tap water for
is equal to
"Global food production
MUST INCREASE 70%
to meet our needs."
"A compact fluorescent light bulb uses
than a regular bulb and it can last up to
"When you turn on an incandescent light bulb,
of the electricity used is turned
into light. The other
"A hot water faucet that leaks
ONE DROP PER SECOND
can add up to
a month. That's more than one person uses in two weeks."
shower is equal to
of the Earth's
original forest cover
. Much of it destroyed within the past
MORE CARBON DIOXIDE
in the atmosphere today than at any point in the last
"WE DON'T INHERIT THE EARTH FROM OUR ANCESTORS, WE BORROW IT FROM OUR CHILDREN."
WE NEED SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
PROVIDE BASIC HUMAN NEEDS TO ALL
With a rising population and a longer life span, the demand for resources is
likely to increase in future. Sustainable
agricultural practices will need to be employed.
Cities will need to be developed sustainably to accommodate an increasing number of people. Green and affordable housing is essential.
PROVIDE FINANCIAL STABILITY
Sustainable economies are necessary to eradicate poverty so everyone can
afford a good standard of living.
CONTROL CLIMATE CHANGE
There is an urgent need to reduce green house gas emissions to control climate change. To make that possible we must reduce burden on fossil fuels and make a transition to renewable energy technologies.
Need to protect biodiverse species from going extinct. Bees, for example are one such species who are endangered by our unsustainable practices today. Extinction of bees would have a devastating effect on our food supply.
"WE DON'T INHERIT EARTH FROM
OUR ANCESTORS, WE BORROW IT
FROM OUR YOUNG."
Gro Harlem Brundtland, 1987
1. Jared Skye, “Why is Sustainable Development
Important?”, love to know, http://greenliving.lovetoknow.com/Why_Is_Sustainable_Development_Important
2. UNEP, “What is Sustainable Development?”, http://www.unep.org/training/programmes/Instructor%20Version/Part_1/readings/What_is_Sustainable_Development_rev1.pdf
3. Dragages Hong Kong, “Quality, Safety and Environment”, http://www.dragageshk.com/sustainable-development_qhe.php
4. Point Park University, Fun Facts about Sustainability, http://www.pointpark.edu/About/AdminDepts/ProcurementandBusinessServices/Sustainability/FunFacts
5. USAID, “The Global State of Agriculture”, http://50.usaid.gov/infographic-the-global-state-of-agriculture/usaid-agriculture-1000/?size=infographicMedium
6. Behance, Environmental Awareness, https://www.behance.net/gallery/Environmental-Awareness/2800287
7. Do Something.org, “11 facts about Global Warming”, https://www.dosomething.org/facts/11-facts-about-global-warming
8. Food Waste, http://visual.ly/food-waste
9. FMA, Music for Video, Kai Engel, “Moonlight Reprise”, http://freemusicarchive.org/curator/video