Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Healthy Eating
Hi my name is Tyler!
I am from Florida, but have lived in San Diego for almost 3 years
Favorite food: bagels & cream cheese!
Fun Fact: I perform synchronized swimming and worked on a farm in Costa Rica last summer!
mean to you?
What do people in the United States eat??
Side Effects of Eating
Poor brain function
Decreased exercise capabilities
Insulin resistance and weight gain
Indigestion and heartburn
Poor sleep & mood problems
Heart disease & Type 2 Diabetes
How can we eat healthier??
Cakes, cookies, quick bread, pastries, pies
Yeast breads & rolls
Soft drinks, soda
Crackers, popcorn & chips
Top 5 Foods Eaten in the United States
Build a healthy meal!
Practice Portion Control!
Practice building your own healthy meal!
Great source of fiber, B-vitamins and iron
Reduces risk of disease
Servings per day
Beans and peas
Nuts and seeds
Building blocks for bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, and blood
Eating 8 oz. per week of seafood may help reduce the risk for disease
oz. per day
1 Tablespoon of peanut butter
1/4 cup of cooked beans
1/4 cup of tofu
2 Tablespoons hummus
1 oz. cooked poultry (without skin)
1 oz. cooked lean pork or beef
Naturally low in fat, sodium & calories.
Good source of potassium, fiber, vitamin C, & folate.
Helps protect against heart disease and certain cancers
Cups per day
1 large whole fruit
1/2 cup dried fruit
8 oz. 100% fruit juice
Cups per day
1 cup of raw or cooked vegetables
or vegetable juice
2 cups leafy greens (spinach)
What did you think?
How Do We Eat Healthy on Campus?
What's your favorite place to eat?
Try these Simple Switches!
What types of food do you order?
1 slice of bread
1 cup cold cereal
1/2 cup cooked rice, pasta & cereal
Simple & Easy Recipes!
Grocery Shopping 101
Eat before you shop!
Make a list
Shop the outside aisles FIRST!
Shop local and buy in season
Try FROZEN produce (lasts longer & same nutrient value as fresh)
Shop your pantry!
Nearby Grocery Stores and Markets
6386 Del Cerro Blvd
San Diego, CA 92120
6155 El Cajon Blvd
San Diego, CA 92115
Store Phone: 619-583-4142
Store Hours: Open daily 6:00 am-1:00 am
1. Based on this presentation, what are the FOUR categories that make up a healthy plate?
2. Name TWO simple switches to make a meal healthier ON CAMPUS
1. Your name & Where you are from
2. What is your favorite food?
3. Fun fact about yourself
What will we learn today?
1. Different names of foods
2. How to make a healthy meal
3. How to read the nutrition label & ingredient list
4. Identify healthy markets and foods on & off campus
3. What knowledge did you have about this topic BEFORE the presentation?
1 2 3 4 5
None at all Very much
4. What's the BEST way to create a healthy body image?
5. Did you feel that you learned something valuable from this presentation? If so, what?
Examples of Pasta or "Noodles"
Examples of "Sweet Breads"
Examples of "Sandwiches"
Examples of "Pepper"
Salt and Pepper
Similar Types of Vegetables
Different Names for Soft Drinks
Sprouts La Mesa
4630 Palm Ave., La Mesa, CA 91941
Sprouts Pacific Beach
1260 Garnet Ave., San Diego, CA 92109
Sprouts North Park
4175 Park Blvd., San Diego, CA 92103
711 University Ave, San Diego, CA 92103
O.B. People's Organic Food Market
4765 Voltaire Street, San Diego, CA 92107
Anyone can become a co-owner of the co-op and save 10% on all their purchased for an annual investment of $15. You don't need to be a co-owner to shop there.
Read it Before You Eat it! How to Read the Nutrition Label
Check out the Ingredient List!
What Foods are Good for Mind & Body?
1. Opt for whole foods (i.e. whole grains vs. refined)
2. Eat more fruits & vegetables!
3. Focus on creating balanced meals
4. Remember to stay hydrated by choosing water (stay away from soda & other sugary beverages)
4. Don't forget physical activity
International Food Markets
Use the OneBusAway application on your mobile phone to get real time information for your bus!
San Diego Metropolitan Transit System
Continent E & I
Address: 5961 University Ave # 314, San Diego, CA 92115
Phone: (619) 583-6366
World Foods Supermarket
Grocer stocking Chinese, Vietnamese, American & Hispanic eats, from fresh produce to dry goods.
Address: 5245 El Cajon Blvd, San Diego, CA 92115
Phone: (619) 265-9988
Banu Hashim Marketplace and Deli
Address: 6172 University Ave, San Diego, CA 92115
Phone: (619) 229-9119
99 Ranch Market
Asian supermarket chain carrying imported specialty foods plus meat, seafood, produce & baked goods.
Large supermarket carrying Korean products, including fresh produce, meats, whole fish & dry goods.
Balboa International Market
Supermarket stocking Mediterranean groceries, plus prepared meals such as shish kebab & gyros
The Market by Buon Appetito
Grocer featuring imported Italian items, plus seasonal produce, natural meats
Did you know there are over 62 different names for added sugars??
If you can't read or recognize the word, it's probably not the best option!
Butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA)
Butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT)
Join us for a Walking Tour!
Learn how to eat healthy on campus!