Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Language
Vode lu neep li praz
Blom lu pleck li praz
Neep li pleck li yab
Brain Pathways in Second Language
G1: Classroom setting
G2: Immersion setting
Results: Pathways used in immersion setting were similar to first language
: Recent (2-12 months)
: Chronic (2+ years)
Lille test- verbal and nonverbal communication
Findings: Those who had brain injury for a longer period of time performed better on communication assessments.
Language is so important to students.
: Teaching abstract words to infants
-Paired abstract word with abstract shape (
-Word was considered learned once paired with a new shape and the infants stared longer
: Good and Bad Cues
-Used words from Phase 1
-Placed in good cue or poor cue
: The army is trying a new bean gaffe hold next week
: The army is trying a new fang gaffe tine next week
After presenting cue, used Switch Test again to see how well infants learned abstract words
-Good Cues facilitated infant learning
-Poor Cues didn't hurt learning
I don't know who discovered water, but I can promise you it wasn't a fish.
and Don't Give Up!
Use of Captions in Foreign Language
Students would not look as long at captions during short movie that had familiar content
Russian & Spanish vs. Arabic
Chinese & Familiarity
1.Morgan-Short, K., Steinhauer, K., Sanz, C.,&Ullman, M. (2012). Explicit and Implicit Second Language Training Differentially Affect the Achievement of Native Like Brain Activation Patterns. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 24(4),933-947.
2. Rousseaux, M.O. (2010). An Analysis of Communication in Conversation After Severe Traumatic Brain Injury.
European Journal of Neurology, 17
3. Estes, K.G., (2014). Learning builds on learning: Infants' use of native language sound patterns to learn words.
Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 126
4. Winke, P., Gass, S., & Sydorenko, T. (2013). Factors Influencing the Use of Captions by Foreign Language Learners: An Eye-Tracking Study. Modern Language Journal, 97(1), 254-275. doi:10.1111/j.1540-4781.2013.01432.x
We need to constantly be working on our minds and developing connections.
Learning a second Language