Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
2013 JSEA Colloquium: The Feedback Loop by John Damaso (Brophy College Prep)
Transcript of 2013 JSEA Colloquium: The Feedback Loop by John Damaso (Brophy College Prep)
How do students currently give feedback to teachers?
Year in Review Survey via Google Forms
Incorporating student feedback
"more grammar and SAT practice"
* "The other period said this test is SO hard."
* "All we do in that class is _____________."
* "That teacher never _____________."
* "That teacher only likes _____________."
* "No matter what I do or how I study, I can't _____________."
* "_____________ is so boring."
* "_____________ doesn't actually teach. They let the computer/book do the teaching."
* "_____________ really gets us."
* "_____________ is hilarious."
* "_____________ hates me."
The Feedback Loop:
Reflective Practice and Student Evaluations of Teachers
model reflective practice
encourage two-way transparency
increase student sense of efficacy
improve course long-term
Brophy Student Evaluation
surveys are inherently flawed: questions too general, contradictory data, problem of word choice
ego -- we can dish it but can't take it
students' thoughtless jab could sabotage reputation of teacher
teachers fear that evaluations are tied to employment or compensation
What do you feel your instructor did particularly well in the teaching of this course?
What areas for growth or improvement do you feel your instructor can address in the teaching of this course?
Brophy College Prep
JSEA Colloquium 2013
St. Louis University
June 27, 2013
questions and reflection?
How do I customize the way students give me feedback in my courses?
How do I incorporate student feedback?
"plays that aren't Shakespeare"
"more ways to show what we've learned "
"certain assignments count for too much/too little"
"it's easy to forget when something is due"
"vocabulary is boring"
"The dignity of movement of an iceberg is due to only one-eighth of it being above water. "
- Ernest Hemingway, Death in the Afternoon
intention vs. perception