Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Vasco Nunez de Balboa
Transcript of Vasco Nunez de Balboa
explorer and was born in Jerez de los
Caballerros, Spain. He lived from 1475-1519.
Balboa was the first European to see and
claim the Eastern shore of the Pacific
Ocean. He claimed not only the Pacific but
all the shores as well, for Spain. Vasco Nunez de Balboa named
the ocean Pacific meaning
"peaceful." In 1501 he joined a Spanish
expedition to South America. Then
in 1509 he wanted to go on another
expedition to South America but he
owed too many people money so they
wouldn't let him join them. Instead
he snuck onto the ship and then really
started what he is known for. While on the ship Balboa heard he could see the ocean from a mountain. He told his men to stay behind and climbed up. Finally he reached the top and saw the Pacific. When Vasco Nunez de Balboa discovered the Pacific early September 1513, Ferdinand heard about it and named him to serve under Pedrarias as governor of a new place on Panama. Pedrarias became jealous
of Balboa and in 1518 the
governor falsely accused
Balboa of trying to overthrow the government and had Balboa beheaded in 1519. Country and Flag!
Balboa was from Spain and
did everything he did for Spain.
He sailed under the Spaniard flag.
Natives and King Ferdinand of Spain
supported Balboa and helped him accomplish
* Finding the Pacific
* Governor of Panama
* Claimed the Pacific and all
the shores for Spain Backround Interesting Fact Early expedition Main Expedition Death Quiz Questions!
* What does Pacific mean?
* Who was jealous of Balboa?
* Who did Balboa claim the Pacific to? Answer#1
* Pedrarias Answer#3
* Spain By:Alexandra McCormick and Lorie Cervantes
4/23/10 Vasco Nunez de Balboa The End!