Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
ENGL 120-C: Persuasive Writing Grammar & Parts of Speech Review
Transcript of ENGL 120-C: Persuasive Writing Grammar & Parts of Speech Review
a person, place, thing, or idea
takes the place of a noun modify (describe or limit) nouns,
pronouns, and groups of words
that function as nouns 10) Identify the verbs in the following sentence.
11) Correct the sentence so the subject and verb agree. express action, occurrence,
or state of being 12) Identify the adverbs in the sentences.
13) What words & parts of speech do the adverbs modify? modify (describe or limit)
other adverbs, and clauses. connects words, phrases, or clauses 19) Identify the the prepositions in the following sentence: words that convey relationship,
usually in time or space 20)Identify the interjection in the following sentence. a word or expression that conveys
surprise or strong emotion 1) Identify the nouns and pronoun in the following sentence: The student listened to the lecture from his
teacher. 5)Which type of pronoun is presented in the sentence?
c) possessive 7) Identify the adjectives in the sentence: The college student went to her English class. 2) Identify the subject of the sentence.
3) Identify the direct object of the sentence.
4) Identify the indirect object of the sentence. 8) Which nouns do they modify? The student need to complete the assignment in order to
pass the course. The student studied consistently for his
Fortunately, his efforts were rewarded. Shakespeare has been studied in English and theater courses. 14) Identify the coordinating conjunction in the following sentence. 15) Identify the subordinating conjunction in the following sentence.
16) Identify the dependent clause and the independent clause.
17) Rewrite the sentence so the dependent and independent clauses are reversed. Because Shakespeare's works are so influential, they are studied in English and theater courses. In the fall, students return to school. Hooray! This quiz is over! Answers to Questions 1-6 (Nouns & Pronouns) 1)Nouns: student, lecture, teacher
2) Subject: student
3) Direct object: lecture
4) Indirect object: teacher
5) his: possessive pronoun
6) A student should work hard to earn his or her grades. (OR) Students should word hard to earn their grades. 7) Adjectives: college, English
8) Modified nouns: student, class
9) The waiter brought pancakes, drenched in syrup, to the table. Answers to Questions 7-9 (Adjectives) 10) Verbs: need, complete, pass
11) The students need to complete the assignment in order to pass the course.
(OR) The student needs to complete the assignment in order to pass the course. Answers to Questions 10-11 (Verbs) 9)Correctly place this misplaced modifier: The waiter, drenched in syrup, brought
pancakes to the table. 6) Correct the following sentence so the pronoun and antecedent agree. A student should work hard to earn their grades. 18) Correct the following comma splice with a conjunction: Shakespeare is widely read, he is known for composing a variety of genres. 12) Adverbs: consistently, fortunately
13) Consistently modifies studied (verb);
Fortunately modifies the clause: his efforts were rewarded Answers to Questions 12-13 (Adverbs) 14) Coordinating conjunction: and
15) Subordinating conjunction: because
16) -Dependent clause (incomplete; depends on another clause): Because Shakespeare's works are so influential ;
-Independent clause (complete; independent): they are studied in English and theater courses
17) Shakespeare's works are studied in English and theater courses because they are so influential.
18) Shakespeare is widely read, and he is known for composing a variety of genres. Answers to Questions 14-18 (Conjunctions) 19) Prepositions: In, to
20) Interjection: Hooray! Answers to Questions 19-20
(Prepositions & Interjections)