Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
7th Grade Reading: Roots and Affixes
Transcript of 7th Grade Reading: Roots and Affixes
Task at Hand
Importance of Roots and Affixes
Common Core State Standards will require 55% of texts to be informational.
The remaining 45% of text will be literature based.
Therefore, reading comprehension will be heavily stressed.
Solitude contains the prefix sol- which means alone.
7th Grade Reading Common Core Standards
Reading for Literature: 10 strands are under this standard, RL.1-RL.10
Reading for Information: 10 strands are under this standard, RI.1-RI.10
7th Grade Reading: Roots and Affixes Lesson
A Roots and Affixes Lesson will encompass standards: R.L.4, R.I.4, L.4, and L.6.
What are Root words?
Affixes are categorized into two branches: prefixes (at the beginning of a word) and suffixes (at the end of words).
Root words are word parts with origins in another language. They are the foundation or the core of words.
What are base words?
Base words cannot be reduced into smaller word parts.
Knowledge of roots and affixes allows readers to decipher the meaning of words.
Application of Roots and Affixes
Due to the high noise level of her nine family member household, Ashley enjoyed the solitude that reading in the library afforded.
What does the unfamiliar word mean?
Activities to Foster Greater Understanding of Word Parts and Word Meanings
1. Word Search- Give student 10 grade level words to dissect
2. KWL chart-Allow students to create a KWL chart with vocabulary words
3. Human Word Chain-Instruct students to list unfamiliar words from classroom text, as a class create a human word chain where someone represents each word part (prefix, root or base, suffix
A Resource for Root Words and Affixes