Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Project 3.3.1 Design Problem Marble Sorter
Transcript of Project 3.3.1 Design Problem Marble Sorter
Course: Principle Of Engineering 3rd hour
School: Edina High School
Date: 5/17/13 Project 3.3.1 Design Problem Brainstorming Ideas Decision Matrix Final Design Solution Our final design was actually not one of our original 4
ideas during our brainstorm, but occurred to us after realizing our original idea was not working, and then our
2nd idea of a light sensor with a cradle also did not work. We ended up using a line follower because it the colors of
the three marbles were all very different, it made it easy to differentiate between the marbles, and then sort them into their respective cups. Original Idea Title Page Idea #1: Light sensor, kicker, teeter totter Idea #2: 2 light sensors and 2 kickers Idea #3 Light sensor and
sliding depository Idea #4 light sensor, door,
limit switch Design Modifications Final Design Reflection References Originally, we implemented a conveyor belt design,
which would sort the marbles and then have a light sensor at the end, which would tell which cup to drop the marble in. However, after we built this design, we realized it would be hard to program, as well as get only one marble to drop at time, plus the light sensor and flashlight were difficult to mount correctly. We ditched this idea in favor of a slot for the marbles to drop to, then it would sense what marble it is using a light sensor, which would move the drop to the correct cup, and the slot would tilt so the marble would go into the correct cup. THEN, that design worked well, EXCEPT, the light sensor could not detect enough of a difference between the metal and the wood, since they both blocked light. Final Idea 2nd Idea As we were running out of time to finish the project,
we ended deciding on the idea of using of a line follower for our final design, since it would be able to sense the differences in colors of the marbles. Throughout all 3 ideas, we kept the sliding cup design because that worked, we just couldn't sense when the marbles were different. However, the line follower idea finally worked. We used the same cradle to catch it, and it would sense the marbles material by its color, slide the cup to the right one, and drop into it. The solution with the line follower would work because the 3 different types of marbles were all very different in color, so we could differentiate and sort the marbles into different containers..
Conclusion (Include in the reflection)1.What was the most challenging aspect of this design problem?
There were a couple challenging aspect of this design problem were to get one marble and ONLY one marble to drop in to whatever sensor you were using to differentiate between the different marbles. Once you figured that out, you needed to figure out how to actually sense the differences between the marbles. We started by using a light sensor, but did not think it out that both the metal and the wood marbles blocked light so the system could not tell the difference between the two. 2.What are some creative changes that you would make to the design solution if you could start over?
First of all, take some more time when assembling, because if you rush to build it and do not make sure every thing is attached securely, some problems could come up later. Another creative change that would be made if we could start over was to try to sort more of the marbles using physical means, not by using the robot electronic components. That way, there is less chance for error due to programming and just malfunction of the equipment. For example, we might use more levers to sort out heavier and lighter marbles, or use an opening on the base so that only the metal marbles would fall. We did accomplish our objectives pretty well, although it was a struggle to get there. Our marble sorter ended up sorting the marbles perfectly with 100% accuracy, in around 1 minute 35 seconds. Even though our marble sorter sorted with 100% accuracy, the first couple times we tested something would always go wrong, for example, two marbles of different materials would fall in to the cradle, or the 3 cups would not be lined up right. Also, it did sort the marbles under the objective of 2 minutes, we would have preferred it to be a little bit faster. However, the marble sorter did fulfill all aspects of the problem statement. We learned how to solve a design problem, how to adapt to challenges and problems that arise during the process of trying to solve the problem. We also learned to challenges that arise when working on a design challenge, when members of the team disagree on which idea works best, and we had to learn to compromise in order to solve the task at hand, putting aside our egos. The purpose of the design problem was to figure out a creative way to efficiently sort 15 marbles of 3 different materials, wood, metal, and glass. Here is our final code that we
used: Here is a video of our solution: We apologize that the video
is sideways. Brinton, N.. N.p.. Web. 17 May 2013. <http://bpabrinton.weebly.com/marble-sorter.html>.
jcon16, . N.d. 0. n.p.
Berndt, T.. N.p.. Web. 17 May 2013. <http://prezi.com/6wia7qi4nfp8/project-lead-the-way-poe-activity-331-marble-sorter/>.