Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in the manual
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Jodi Johnsonon 5 December 2012
Transcript of Odyssey
* The third floor was dedicated to The Odyssey, with a face lift being provided featuring freshly painted walls, motivational banners, The Excellent 11 Concepts, and student-chosen quotes. Teachers were given the opportunity to paint their rooms any color they wanted in the summer, as the classrooms began to look like each teacher's personality.
* Teachers had a say in the scheduling of students. They were partnered up in teams, with some classes meeting year round for 45 minutes each day, and others meeting for half of a year at 90 minutes per day.
* Communities in Schools was brought up to the third floor to give additional support. Final Preparations for the Launch of the Odyssey: *In August of 2012, the first Odyssey Class started their 9th grade year.
* Herff Jones provided a banner which was a Contract for Graduation, and the students all signed the banner which will hang on the UNCW stage in 2016.
* Mr. Guthrie introduced the Service Learning Group.
Mr. Norvell was assigned as the administrator who would be housed in the freshman academy, and Mr. Guthrie was assigned as the school counselor who would be housed in the freshman academy. The Odyssey was the name given to the freshmen academy, as the 9th grade year would be an experience and a journey that would see the success of all students entering 9th grade for the first time. By the end of the 2011-2012 school year: The Odyssey has developed as follows:
*Built by teachers, built for student success
*A common area of the building
* The opportunity for students to work and learn outside of the academy as well.
*A team of core teachers and support staff
* On site guidance and administrator
* Monthly Seminars and Student Recognition Assemblies
* Service projects
* Custom-Built Schedules
* EC Support
* AIG Support
* Opportunity for AP Classes as 9th graders
* Pre-Lyceum and Pre Signature Academy Pathways
* Focus on Citizenship through Civics as 9th graders
* Individualized classrooms
* Motivational Hallway
* Web Site within our Web Site
* Off Site Trips
* Demand from NHC Parents - led the county in 9th grade open choice applications.
* Discipline numbers have dropped.
* Achievement has risen.
* Dropouts have been non-existent: students are finding success academically, socially, and see promotion as a reality.