Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
trans* identities - WOST 1010
Transcript of trans* identities - WOST 1010
(man and woman). one's inner sense of gender. how a person exhibits their gender, through clothing, expression, etc. transwoman genderqueer hijra two-spirit kathoey transman someone who is born female but identifies and presents as male. someone who is born male but identifies and presents as female. someone whose gender identity and expression blur the binary between man and woman. in Native North American cultures, used to describe those of any sex who possess qualities of or fulfill both gender roles. in Thai culture, used to describe those born male who identify and present as women; considered a third gender. in South Asian Hindu culture. used to describe those born male or intersex who identify and present femininely; considered a third gender. gender on ID's and forms for work or school, public restrooms and changing rooms, airport security. Incarceration: men versus women prisons, treatment in prison, media misgendering. Feminism and the Trans* Community Michigan Womyn's Music Festival Smith College HRC Project Sources "If there's one thing I think we should all be able to agree on, it's that gender is a confusing and complicated mess."
-Julia Serano these and following definitions from itspronouncedmetrosexual.com and en.wikipedia.org how YOU can be a trans* ally -respect preferred pronouns and names -don't assume someone's gender identity based on their expression -if you wouldn't ask a cis person, don't ask a trans* person trans* resources in the Twin Cities Trans Youth Support Network (TYSN) The Bride for Runaway Youth OutFront Rainbow Health Initiative Minnesota Transgender Health Coalition 20% Theatre Company "Trans inclusion will be a legislative priority over my dead body."
-Elizabeth Birch, HRC Exec. Director 1995-2004 1. Hill, Mel Reif, et al. "The Gender Book." E-book. Self-published, 2011. <http://www.thegenderbook.com>
2. Killerman, Sam. "A Comprehensive List of LGBTQ+ Term Definitions." Accessed 28 April 2013. <http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/2013/01/a-comprehensive-list-of-lgbtq-term-definitions/>
3. Berghausen, Mark E. "Intersex Employment Discrimination: Title VII and Anatomical Sex Nonconformity." Northwestern University Law Review 105.3 (2011): 1281-315. Print.
4. Cornwall, Susannah. "Recognizing the Full Spectrum of Gender? Transgender, Intersex and the Futures of Feminist Theology." Feminist Theology: The Journal of the Britain & Ireland School of Feminist Theology 12.3 (2012): 236-41. Print.
5. Sánchez, Francisco J., María José Martínez-Patiño, and Eric Vilain. "The New Policy on Hyperandrogenism in Elite Female Athletes Is Not About ?Sex Testing." Journal of Sex Research 50.2 (2013): 112-15. Print.
6. Topp, Sarah S. "Against the Quiet Revolution: The Rhetorical Construction of Intersex Individuals as Disordered." Sexualities 16.1 (2013): 180-94. Print.
7. Bornstein, Kate, and S. Bear Bergman. Gender Outlaws: The Next Generation. Berkeley, CA: Seal, 2010. Print.
8. Butler, Judith. Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion of Identity. New York: Routledge, 1990. Print.
9. Lorber, Judith. Gender Inequality: Feminist Theories and Politics. New York: Oxford UP, 2012. Print.
10. Sycamore, Mattilda Bernstein. Nobody Passes: Rejecting the Rules of Gender and Conformity. Emeryville, CA: Seal, 2006. Print.
11. Wilchins, Riki Anne. Queer Theory, Gender Theory: An Instant Primer. Los Angeles, [Calif.: Alyson, 2004. Print.