Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Gerund
is the present participle of a verb
(the -ing form) used as a noun.
Bowling is a very old sport.
Gardening is a satisfying hobby.
Collecting baseball cards can be a lucrative past time.
Reading is my
I enjoy reading.
Today is a good
day for reading.
To determine whether a word ending in –ing is a verb,
participle, or gerund, you must see how the word is used
in the sentence.
First find the simple subject and the simple predicate.
They will help you know whether a word is a gerund.
1. Sketching is fun for me.
2. Maria exercises everyday by swimming.
3. Her other leisure activity is painting.
4. She and I are singing in the chorus tonight.
5. Of all my interests, I care most about reading.
6. Traveling comes second or third on my list of favorites.
7. What is the most interesting hobby for you?
8. A hobby can be anything from fishing to painting.
9. Few things are better for relaxing than a satisfying hobby.
10. Some people enjoy gardening whereas others prefer reading.
Uses of Gerund
Find each gerund in these sentences. Is it used as a subject, direct object, or an object of a preposition?