Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Gerund
is the present participle of a verb
(the -ing form) used as a noun.
Bowling is a very old sport.
Gardening is a satisfying hobby.
Collecting baseball cards can be a lucrative past time.
Reading is my
I enjoy reading.
Today is a good
day for reading.
To determine whether a word ending in –ing is a verb,
participle, or gerund, you must see how the word is used
in the sentence.
First find the simple subject and the simple predicate.
They will help you know whether a word is a gerund.
1. Sketching is fun for me.
2. Maria exercises everyday by swimming.
3. Her other leisure activity is painting.
4. She and I are singing in the chorus tonight.
5. Of all my interests, I care most about reading.
6. Traveling comes second or third on my list of favorites.
7. What is the most interesting hobby for you?
8. A hobby can be anything from fishing to painting.
9. Few things are better for relaxing than a satisfying hobby.
10. Some people enjoy gardening whereas others prefer reading.
Uses of Gerund
Find each gerund in these sentences. Is it used as a subject, direct object, or an object of a preposition?