Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Eco-Systems
By Charlotte, Isabel, Kira and Sarah
Rain & Fertilizer
Manny Bract (the landscaper) placed the fertiliser onto the golf course on the 30th of June
Because there was so many Algae, the ate so much phosphate, in fact they ate it all! Once all the phosphate was gone all the algae started to die because the had nothing to eat. Less phosphate and nitrogen = less algae
Where did the algae go?
More chlorophyl in the water
So the algae is dead, now what?
The bacteria decompose the dead algae which increases their population
How do they decompose dead matter?
This oxygen is dissolved oxygen in the water
What affects the levels of dissolved oxygen?
- Amount of turbidity
- Amount of sunlight for
- Amount of wind
-Amount of organisms
in the pond
- Amount of bacteria decomposing
What happened on the
High Cloud coverage
Lots of Bacteria
What does this result in?
Less Dissolved Oxygen
Who needs Oxygen?
All living Organisms
Therefore a decrease in oxygen resulted in the extinction of two species in the pond
Which Species did the affect ?
How did that affect other species in the area?
They ate the dead fish and their population increased
They weren't being eaten by the other fish (preditors)
Later that week, unfortunately it rained causing the nutrients and phosphate to run off into the pond
Because of the increased nutrients and phosphates in the pond, the Algae population increased because of food supply increase.
When first starting our investigation, each of us created a hypothesis and now we are going to investigate and see if we were right!
- My hypothesis is that the fertiliser ran into the run off water, and then the fish ate it and died not long after from poisoning
- My hypothesis is that the town is dumping sewage into the pond and then fish ate in and died
- My hypothesis is that the fish died because another organisum was eating them
- My hypothesis is that that someone left the trash out, then it rained and it went into the lake
Was our hypothesis supported or refuted?
Everyone's hypothesis was refuted but in the end we did learn a lot from this experience!