Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Multicultural Education
Equitable educational opportunities for students racial,ethnic,social class and cultural class.
A learning environment that supports positive interracial contact.
Positive teacher expectation
POSITIVE EFFECTS OF MULTICULTURAL EDUCATION
Provide alternative points of view.
A multicultural curriculum
Provide ethnic minorities with a sense of being inclusive in history,science etc.
Decrease stereotypes, prejudice, bigotry and racism.
CHARACTERISTICS OF MULTICULTURAL EDUCATION
Teacher training workshop
Less racial tension in schools
Help students develop positive self-image
Increase ethnic minority classroom participation
Integration of Technology in the Multicultural Classroom
Facilitate, collaboration and cooperation among students
Increase opportunity for teacher to interact with students
Technology is used as a tool for learning
Collaboration in the Classroom
- student centered rather than teacher centered
- change teacher's role from lecturer to facilitator
- student role change from passive to expert
- memorization of facts to inquiry, invention and investigation
- interactive hands-on at mastering computer technology skills
Why Integrate Technology into the Classroom
Benefit slow learners
Reduces restraints on bright students
Help students to become:
i. information seekers
ii. problem solvers
To engage students who normally keep quiet due to language difference
To offer diverse instructional and learning activities in regard to different cultural values and beliefs.
Technology in the classroom is accommodating all types of learners
How to Integrate Technology in the Multicultural Classroom
Technology is a useful tool in foreign language classes. With the use of emails, chat rooms,web cam and a collaborative web site, students can link to native speakers of foreign languages.
Let students sign up
for email updates.
Text message alerts
to receive homework
assignments and reminders
for test and projects.
Use books published on line
and interactive activities that supplement the curriculum being taught.
Pros for Students
- increases motivation to learn and work
- More interesting than most traditional bookwork
- Imparts valuable computer skills for the 21st century workforce
- More resources at the fingertips (literally)!
Cons for Students
- Technical Issues
- Access to inappropriate material
- Increase threats of cyber-bullying and sexual predators
- Easily distracted by browsing and playing games irrelevant to education
- Increases opportunities for plagiarism
Pros for Educators
- More resources to effectively instruct students
- Easier to track and assess student progress
- Add variety to the lesson delivery method
Cons for Educators
- Many teachers are not comfortable with with technology
- Lack if IT skills
- Lack of followup and district support regarding professional development
- Equipment, maintenance, training and IT support are costly
Elementary and Secondary
Education Act 1965
- amended, Title II, Part D Enhancing Education Through Technology 2001
- Improve academic achievement via Technology
- Ensure technological literacy of each student by the eighth grade
- Effective technology integrating with teacher training and curriculum development
Regarding professional development, the purpose is to require schools receiving funds to allocate 25% to professional development.
Professional Development Training Resources
STAR - Online
Provides online and on site professional development workshop
PBS - Teacherline
Online development courses
FLORIDA CENTER FOR INSTRUCTIONAL TECHNOLOGY
Provides Senior Training Specialist to assist school and district with technology integration to all regions of Florida
TECHNOLOGY IN THE MULTICULTURAL CLASSROOM
ESOL AND TECHNOLOGY
Students whose primary language at home is one other than English
Requires addition English language support to develop reading, writing, listening and speaking skills
ESL or ESOL programs help students learn English using a variety of resources, especially technology
Technology for ESOL Students
ELL classrooms use technology to enhance listening skills and verbal communication
Technology includes audio and visual aids, activities, and assessments
ESL Instructional Resources
Disabilities and Technology Working Together
Technology and Disabilities
Page-turners, book holders, and adapted pencil grips allow learners with disabilities to participate in class activities.
Games and software with pictograms and sign language aid hearing impaired students.
Braille, print and screen magnifiers, and speech-recognition software aid vision impaired students.
Teachers and students alike can benefit from the integration of technology into the classroom. It helps all students, including students of low socioeconomic status, students with with disabilities, and ESL students who are often left behind. Technology positively impacts students educational progress, motivation, self-esteem, and overall attitude toward learning.
Garcia, E. Multicultural Education in Your Classroom. TeachHUB. Retrieved March 24, 2014, from http://www.teachhub.com/multicultural-education-your-classroom
Lam, J. Technology in the classroom. Retrieved March 24, 2014, from http://www.teach-nology.com/tutorial/techinclass
Sharp, V. F. (2007). Computer education for teachers: integrating technology into classroom teaching (6th ed.). Boston: McGraw-Hill.
Wilson, K. Multicultural Education. Multicultural Education. Retrieved March 24, 2014, from http://www.edchange.org/multicultural/papers/keith.html
Ybarra, R., & Green, T. (2003, March). Using technology to help esl/efl students develop language skills. Retrieved from http://iteslj.org/Articles/Ybarra-Technology.html
Burgstahler, S. (1992). Working together: People with disabilities and computer technology. Retrieved from https://www.washington.edu/doit/Brochures/Technology/wtcomp.html
U.S. Department of Education. (2004). Elementary and Secondary Act of 1965, as amended, Title II, Part D – Enhancing Education Through Technology (pg 34). Retrieved March 16, 2014, from http://fcit.usf.edu/home/about.htm
Multimedia in the Classroom: Engaging Students. (2010). Retrieved March 16, 2014, from http://fcit.usf.edu/multimedia/index.html