Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Udubia Marine Reserve
Transcript of Udubia Marine Reserve
1. Protect Threatened Species
2. Minimize Negative Short-Term Economic Impact
3. Protect Biodiversity
4. Ecological and Economic Restoration Protect Threatened Species
We first prioritized cells that contain endangered or threatened species by multiplying the amount of area (rounded to the nearest quarter) by each cell's Shannon Diversity Index score.
Then we set a threshold value so that we conserved at least one cell from each populations, conserving everything above threshold. Minimize Negative Economic Impact of the Reserve
We multiplied total landings of each species for each cell by species value (www.fishbase.org) and looked at aggregate data for each cell.
We excluded the most economically valuable cells from subsequent reserve decisions (top 10% non-protected fished cells, 45 cells). Ecological and Economic Restoration
Cells choice was based on several factors, including diversity and proximity to indigenous territory and fishing cells. Protect Areas of High Biodiversity
Based on the Shannon Diversity Index. Final Reserve Proposal
small, fragmented, shallow-water
real estate, fishermen, conservationist Quantification of Cell Value Minimize Economic Impact
1) penalize high value cells
2) minimize cost (maximize benefit)
3) minimize vessel fuel cost
Maximize Conservation Value
1) prevent overfishing
2) preserve diversity (mollusc)
3) preserve diversity (fish)
4) preserve diversity (terrain)
Maximize Restoration Value
1) ecological restoration
2) economic source populations
Favor Threatened Species
1) seal food
2) overall bias
= 1 - value/max
= [(surr_value - value)-min]/max
= [(div - mn(div))+min]/max
multiply by 1, 2, 3, or 4,
when species = <25, 25-50, 50-75, or >75 Excluded cells = land, pipe outlets, ports, indigenous territory