Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Figurative Language in Poetry
Transcript of Figurative Language in Poetry
4) personification BW: 12/4/12 language that uses words or expressions with a meaning that is different from the literal interpretation What is figurative language? a comparison between two unlike things using "like" or "as" Simile: Why is figurative language
especially important for poetry? Example:
"My rhymes are like shot clocks,
and blood clots,
my point is your flow gets stopped."
- Talib Kweli on "Hater Players" Metaphor: a comparison between two unlike things without using "like" or "as" Hyberbole extreme exaggeration used for effect Example:
"I fly with the stars in the skies,
I am no longer trying to survive,
I believe that life is a prize,
But to live doesn't mean you're alive."
- Nicki Minaj "Moment for Life"
"Today was a fairytale
You've got a smile that takes me to another planet
Every move you make everything you say is right
Today was a fairytale"
- "Today was a Fairytale" - Taylor Swift
Personification: giving human traits to a non-human object for affect Example:
"It's not the storm before the calm
This is the deep and dyin' breath of
This love we've been workin' on"
- "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room" - John Mayer Instructions for groupwork: Students will work in groups of 3 to look through a variety of song lyrics.
Each group will be given a packet of lyrics with a chart and are to identify what types of figurative language are present in that lyric.
Write lyric with figurative lang. in chart