Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Copy of How Greasy are Your Potato Chips Science Fair Project
Transcript of Copy of How Greasy are Your Potato Chips Science Fair Project
Mrs. Scott's class
Key Terms Saturated Fat-a type of fat that is solid at room temperature
Unsaturated Fat- a type of fat that is liquid at room temperature
Calorie- unit of food energy
Cholesterol- disolved fat in the bloodstream
Adipose Tissue- body fat
Estimate- a close, educated gues
Percent- a part of 100
Background Information Fat is a type of nutrient. In the body, they are chemical bonds keeping you together and bones apart. It also helps with growth and development of the body. Thats why people should not get rid of all the fat they eat. Some of the different kinds of fats are; saturated fat, trans fat, and unsaturated fat. My question is: Which flavor of Lays Potato chips produces the largest grease stain when comparing barbeque, sour cream and onion, salt and vinegar, cheddar sour cream, or origonal? In 1853, a costumer thought his french fries were too thick so the chef, George Crum, made browned, paper thin chips at a resturaunt in Saratoga Springs, New York. Potato chips are made by first cutting the potato, soak the potato in salt water, dry potato, fry it, then dry it again and serve. For baked chips, you just bake instead of fry. Hypothesis Question If Original, Barbeque, Sour Cream and Onion, Salt and Vinegar or Cheddar Sour Cream and Onion Lays Potato Chips are tested for how much grease there is, then Salt and Vinegar will have the most grease because they seem more greasy when I eat them. Procedure 1. Obtain materials
2. Take and measure 1 oz. of chips
3. Tape two peices of graph paper together
4.Place the tapped graph papper on table and put the 1 oz. of chips on it
5. Take wax paper and fully cover the chips and graph paper
6. Crush all of the chips completly
7. Peel the wax paper off and throw it away
8. Throw away all of the potato chips crumbs
9. Tape graph paper to a window with sunlight and leave it there for 5 minutes.
10. After the five minutes, untape the graph paper and count how many sqaures are filled in with grease.
11. Repeat 2 times with the same flavor and find the average.
12. Do the same for 4 other flavors.
Conclusion Based on my data, my hypothesis was incorrect. Salt and Vinegar had only 21% of the graph paper covered on average and the greasest, Cheddar Sour Cream, had 33% covered on average.Though Salt and Vinegar are low, the lowest is Barbaque with just 17% covered on average. The realtionship between the chip the squares filled with grease is the flavor of the chip. Cheddar Sour Cream covered the most, Original had the second most, Salt and Vinegar had the third most, Sour Cream and Onion had the second to least, and the Barbaque had the least amount of grease.To improve this experiment I would have the same person count all of the squares from all the graph paper, crush all the chips and have the same amount of chips. Variables Independent/Manipulated Variable- flavor of chips Depentdent/Responding Variable- area of grease on graph paper in cenemeters squared Controls- brand, amount of chips, temperature, scale, paper Control Groups Experimental Groups- Cheddar Sour Cream, Salt and Vinegar, Barbaque, Sour Cream and Onion Control Group- Origonal