Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Disposable Water Bottles and the Hydrological & Carbon Cycle
Transcript of Disposable Water Bottles and the Hydrological & Carbon Cycle
Plastic water bottles are linked with breast cancer, prostate cancer and low sperm count. Chemicals used to create the bottles, that when left in heat (i.e. sun or the trunk of a car) release chemicals into the bottles water, which you would eventually drink.
Run off and air pollution from the factores, as well as from transportation, affect the ecosystem and human health as well.
Plastic water bottles may be exposing humans to to a variety of water contaminants like chlorine, fluoride, prescription drugs etc.
BPA exists in the bottles which can harm humans by chemicals leaking from the plastic bottles.
Disposable Bottles Affect on the carbon cycle
Producing bottled water in America uses about 17 million barrels of oil annually, that is approximately enough to fuel 1.3 million cars a year.
The water bottles are manufactured in petrochemical plants which release harmful air containments.
The transportation of these bottles in 2006 in the US caused a great amount of global warming and other air pollution.
the water industries produce a large amount of carbon dioxide (30,000 tons) which equals the amount of energy consumed by 60,000 homes.
Almost all water bottles are made from what is called “virgin plastic” which basically means they are not recycled, thats alot of wasted oil!
Water bottles take a long time to decompose and if they are burned the byproducts will be released into the atmosphere
Some people in society do not recycle their empty bottles (other garbage) and decide to throw them on the ground and create litter, which hurts the organisms around.
The bottles can end up in the oceans and sea life can potentially swallow the plastic etc.
In the US only 20% of the bottles purchased, are actually recycled. The other 80% going into landfills, where they don't really break down. Many bottles end up in waterways where they break and, wildlife actually eats the fragments.
Water Cycle and Social aspects
Many countries don’t have clean drinking water, and are forced to purchase bottled water for their drinking source. However the reason their water is so polluted is from the run off of the water bottle factories. People are giving money for clean water to the companies that are polluting their free water!!!!!!!
The communities where the bottling factories are, are actually greatly affected. They face, extremely depleted resources, and the little water that is left, is most likely polluted from the run off of the factories. This is especially scary because its predicted that by 2025 2/3 of the world won’t have access to clean safe affordable drinking water.
Almost 50 percent of bottled water is actually from tap, and not the natural springs seen on the labels
Disposable water bottles affecting animals and oceans
In 2007 alone just to make all the bottles purchased in the US (this does not include shipment) 17.6 million barrels were used, and it takes just as much water inside the bottles to make the bottle. That’s a lot of wasted water.
In the US only 20% of the bottles purchased, were actually recycled. The other 80% g into landfills, where they dint really break down. Many bottles end up in waterways where they break and, wildlife actually eats the fragments.
Producing bottled water requires up to 2,000 times energy than producing tap water
Tap water is less expensive than purchasing the bottles in stores
Some disposable bottles extract water that's used in springs and aquifers, which can result in the drying up of wells, wetlands and drain rivers
Lets Talk Money
If you were to drink 2L of bottled water a day, that would cost you $1000 US or 1293.90 CAD a year. But the same amount of water from the tap would cost you 0.50 US or 0.65 CAD a year. What a difference????
* It takes 3 extra liters of water to make one liter of bottled water- wasteful
* When water is bottled and stored, there are chemicals and impurities added to it to keep it ‘fresh’. Companies believe that by adding these chemicals, it cleans the water, however, there are much greater impacts on both the consumers and the environment created by these chemicals. Currently, these impacts may be miniscule, however they continue to build with every bottle of water consumed.
* Many companies are given carte blanche rights to mine the groundwater in local areas, at the expense of the populations of ecosystems. If the mined water is removed from the ecosystem faster than it can replenish itself naturally, there are many consequences for the ecosystem. When rain falls, it doesn’t necessarily get absorbed into the ground so a run off occurs which further strips the ecosystem of its necessary water requirements.
* The pollution created by the ‘simple and easy’ bottles the water is stored in adds to water shortages as the chemicals get into the water cycle and cause water that was once purified and consumable, to longer be safe to drink.
* Ground water depletion. Companies that bottle water are only concerned with profit, therefore, when they need more water to fill the bottles, they don’t consider the effect it may have on the local ecosystem from which they remove the water. Water is a renewable resource, however, that process happens on its own time frame, the speed at which companies remove the water from ground reservoirs is considerable faster than the time it takes to replenish itself. Due to this, the water that can replenish itself becomes less and less until the ecosystem above suffers gravely. The water never really goes back to where the companies took it from, therefore all the organisms within that local community suffer.
* Take the give a penny take a penny method. People at stores leave a penny so others who may need a penny may take it. However, if everyone takes the pennies, they will eventually run out, the system no longer works. In order to use the water in the ground reservoirs, the amount that can be taken can only be equal than the amount that goes back into it each year, otherwise, less and less water will be replenished.
* Water, like energy tends to want to remain balanced in an ecosystem. Thus, the water cycle is created. On a smaller scale, if two water reservoirs are close to one another and one become depleted, the other eventually wants to fill the void. The same thing happens to fresh water reservoirs near oceans (salt water). If the water is over pumped, and too much is removed from the fresh water reservoir, the natural balance between the fresh and salt water, that normally kept the saltwater in the ocean area, is lost and the salt water is inclined to fill the gap. Due to this, even if the fresh water begins to replenish the reservoir, it will become unpurified and non-consumable as it is now mixed with salt water. That whole reservoir may become useless.
Even more nagatives
* The same scenario described previously can also happen if two fresh water reservoirs are close to one another, one being of poorer quality than the water pumped by the companies, the poorer quality fresh water could contaminate the fresh water reservoir where a surplus of water wasretracted from. Often, these reservoirs cannot be brought back to the necessary standard of cleanliness for drinkable water.
* Lakes and rivers are also significantly affected, based on the same situation above, the river and lake water move into the reservoirs to provide equilibrium, therefore reducing the amount of water in that place, which takes the water away from the plant and animal life living in the lakes and rivers.
so many negatives...
If the plant populations begin to fade, and water levels decrease, less water is transpired and evaporated into the atmosphere of a given area. Meaning there is less water vapor in the atmosphere, which leads to less rain, which could potentially cause drought.
Companies emit tons of CO2 and other harmful gasses (roughly three tons a year) into the atmosphere. These gasses don’t simply disappear, they mix with water vapor and return back to the earth, filling our lakes, rivers and streams, watering plants and quenching the thirst of animals with acid rain. These chemicals become a part of the water cycle, delivering their harm to all components of the water cycle.
Approximately 89 billions liters of water is used every year to make bottled water. that water comes directly from ground water reservoirs. The areas where those reservoirs are, in turn have less water for the local population that lives there (usually this is in third world countries).
Some plastic bottles, when left out in the sun, have a potential of leaking harmful chemicals in to the water it contains. Those chemicals enter our bodies, or the ground if it gets poured out. That chemically infused water then becomes a part of the water cycle.
Water cannot be treated as a commodity, but rather as a necessity for all life. Bottling water treats water as a commodity, and although it encourages economic growth, it hinders the ability of our water cycle to thrive as it naturally should.
Video Created by Taylor Rae Hemmings
Taylor Rae, Taylor, Sydney