Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of VITAMIN D
Vitamin Structure and the functional groups present
The Vitamin D we’re dealing with is Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol), and Vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol). They are basically equivalent, the only difference is in their side-chain structure.
-Functional groups in cholecalciferol: hydroxyl group, three double bonds
-Functional groups in ergocalciferol: hydroxyl group, four double bonds
Solubility (water or fat) of the Vitamin
Vitamin D is soluble in fat, so it is stored in body tissue.
Causes of vitamin D deficiency
- not enough in your diet, such as following a vegan diet as most is found in animal based products.
-Limited exposure to the sun as vitamin D is synthesized in the skin when exposed to the sun, so being inside, living in northern latitudes, or covering your skin.
-Dark skin as the pigment melanin reduces synthesis.
-Kidneys cant convert vitamin D into its active form.
Effects of vitamin D deficiency
-loss in bone density
-greater risk of bone breakage
Food Sources of Vitamin's
Vitamin D is found in many commonly consumed foods, some of these include milk, soy, rice beverages ,and margarine. Good sources of vitamin D are found in fish, egg yolks and milk.
Chemistry 35- Hayden, Pritika, Sureya
-Northern countries such as
Canada,USA,Russia, and europe.
-To prevent vitamin D deficiencies
you should take vitamin D
bones and tissue