Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
05.06 Lab Time: Acid and Base Indicators
Transcript of 05.06 Lab Time: Acid and Base Indicators
I think ...
Bleach - base
Detergent - base
Eye drops - base
Lemon juice - acid
Tea - acid
1. Place the five substances in order of increasing pH — from most acidic to most basic.
Tea, Lemon Juice , Eye drops, Detergent , Bleach
2. Orange juice has a pH of 4. What color would you expect the paper test strip to be after it is dipped in a sample of orange juice?
It would be purple.
3. Determining the pH of substances such as purple grape juice and catsup using test strips can be difficult. Why?
It would be difficult to see the color change.
4. Tear–free shampoos are advertized as having a pH similar to that of human tears. What pH would you expect tear–free shampoos to be? Use evidence from the lab activity to support your response.
I would expect it to be neutral because the eye drops are the same as tear free shampoo. It doesn't irritate the eye.
pH range on
Acid / base / neutral
8 - 10
1 - 3
4 - 6
6. What is the approximate hydronium ion concentration and hydroxide ion concentration in bleach? Which is higher?
Approximate hydronium ion concentration in bleach - 1x10^-13-1x10^-14
Approximate hydroxide ion concentration in bleach - 1x10^-1-1x10^-0
The hydroxide ion concentration is higher!
5 .What is the approximate hydronium ion concentration and hydroxide ion concentration in a cup of tea? Which is higher?
Approximate hydronium ion concentration in tea - Mol dm-3
Approximate hydroxide ion concentration in tea - 1.58
Hydronium ion concentration is higher.