Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
The Five Themes of Geography and Maps
Transcript of The Five Themes of Geography and Maps
“What is Geography? Define it in your own words. Give an example of a geographical
trait of the Western Hemisphere that you learned last year”
Geography: a science that deals with the description, distribution, and interaction of the diverse physical, biological, and cultural features of the earth's surface
Geography is a science that studies the physical and human characteristics of an area.
Examples of Human and Physical characteristics?
Examples of Physical and Human Characteristics
Five Themes of Geography
These five themes form together to help one understand the geographical perspectives of a certain area.
Describes a location by all the human and physical characteristics of a location
An area of the Earth's surface with one or more shared characteristics.
This theme looks at
1. How humans depend on the environment.
2. How humans adapt to the environment.
3. How humans effect the environment.
What can help us visualize the five themes of geography?
Morrice Jr/Sr High School
Absolute vs Relative
Absolute: An exact location.
Relative: Describes the position of a place in relation to another
(90 degrees West, and 45 degrees N is an exact location)
There are many types of movement in geography
Population Density Map
Assignment: With the provided template, draw a map of Morrice Jr/Sr High School that displays one theme from the Five Themes of Geography
-Must be neatly done.
-Map must demonstrate 1 of the 5 themes at minimum