Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
University of Kansas: Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access
Transcript of University of Kansas: Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access
What Do You Think?
Follow these simple directions
Jane McQueeny- Executive Director
Jamie Simpson- Director of Accessibility and ADA Education
Steve Steinhilber- Investigator
Jennifer Brooks- Investigator
For More Information Visit:
* Maintain environment free from discrimination and harassment
* Immediately notify and report
* Make a Written Report of Discrimination to IOA
*Cooperate with any investigation
Administrative Support Staff
Jane Jones Information:
*Skills, *No knowledge of industry, *Jane said “fast learner," *Told #1 job responsibility was annual conference, *6-8 weeks prior to conference extremely busy, *Jane is hired and soon thereafter reveals pregnant, *Baby due 3 months before conference, *8 week maternity leave=back 4 weeks before conference, *Jane assures Sue she will work at home if she has to, *Jane not learning industry “embarrassing ignorance," *Sue documents weak performance and fires her
* Should they have hired Jane?
* Could they fire Jane as soon as the found out she was pregnant?
* What were some of the key issues that could have been covered in the interview?
* What is a response when someone says “I’m a fast learner”?
* Spell out the job requirements
- Industry knowledge
- Organization of the conference
* Documentation was the key to the positive resolution of this case
* Time Test—30 seconds
- One paper and pens
- One no aids
- One group observers
* What do the observers think?
* Who has the greater accuracy in recording what they saw?
* Which group has the greater accuracy-
- An hour later?
- Six months later?
- A year later?
* IOA shall measure effectiveness of program
* Keep records of job offers, hiring, promotions, resignations, discharges, layoffs and trainings
* Good faith efforts to recruit
What is Sexual Discrimination?
A supervisor asks a female security officer to work overtime. The supervisor states that it is because they are short of staff. The security officer is female and notices that the on duty male was not asked to work overtime.
Types of Sexual
* Severe and Pervasive
* Offensive- both subjective and objective
Quid Pro Quo
* In exchange for sexual favors the supervisor grants the employee favorable job benefits
What is Discrimination/Harassment?
* A counselor circulates jokes about dumb blondes to others in the office.
* An interviewer asks an older male if he is on social security
* A boss asks a subordinate if she is dating anyone.
What are the different types of discrimination?
The University of Kansas Non-Discrimination Policy
Prohibited types of discrimination:
The Laws that Guide KU Nondiscrimination Policy
Titles VII and VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
The Age Discrimination Act of 1975
Executive Order 11246
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972
Section 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
The Americans with Disabilities Act/ADA Amendments Act of 2008
The Vietnam Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974/ the Jobs for Veterans of 2002
The Kansas Acts Against Discrimination
How do we resolve complaints of Discrimination?
The Discrimination Complaint Resolution Process- DCRP
Who MUST report discriminatory actions?
- Unit heads and others who serve in leadership roles in the University.
- Deans, directors, chairpersons or other administrators or supervisors.
- Faculty members, graduate assistants, and academic advisers.
- The Executive Director of the IOA may initiate an investigation when appropriate and in the interests of the University.