Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Direct Object & Indirect Object
Transcript of Direct Object & Indirect Object
indirect object? Got it? Show me! Indirect Object In 15 minutes you will be able to...
- define the term.
- identify the term in a sentence.
- apply it to your own writing. What 3 components make up the basic sentence structure? Subject - Verb - Object The students listen to the teacher. For an indirect object to appear in a sentence,
there must be a direct object. The indirect object is the noun or pronoun
that receives the direct object. An indirect object can be found by asking
who or what received the direct object. The indirect object usually comes before the direct object in a sentence. (We'll call this a DIRECT OBJECT from now on.) The teacher gave the students an assignment. The teacher completed the action, so that's the subject. What did the teacher do? Gave. That's the verb. What did she give? An assignment. That's the direct object. Who did she give it to?
That is the indirect object. Find the SUBJECT, VERB, DIRECT OBJECT, and INDIRECT OBJECT in this sentence. Natalie sent her cousin a postcard from Miami. Natalie - Subject sent - Verb her cousin - indirect object a postcard - direct object * Notice that the indirect object comes BEFORE the direct object. Our father built the family a redwood picnic table. We gave my mother a book for her birthday. John read his tiny nephew an exciting story. Find the SUBJECT, VERB, DIRECT OBJECT, and INDIRECT OBJECT Practice More Practice Even more practice! Examples of verbs that can take direct and indirect objects
(called TRANSITIVE verbs): Bring - Allow - Pass
Give - Send - Leave
Sell Form two sentences on a separate piece of paper. Once complete, identify the subject, verb, direct, and indirect object. Exit Slip: Application Card On the paper provided, write the following: 1) your name
2) the definition of an indirect object in your own words
3) your sentence from today
4) another sentence using I.O. Underline DIRECT OBJECT
Circle INDIRECT OBJECT hint: what is the teacher giving? Find the SUBJECT, VERB, DIRECT OBJECT, and INDIRECT OBJECT Find the SUBJECT, VERB, DIRECT OBJECT, and INDIRECT OBJECT