Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Bayley's Scale of Infant and Toddler Development
Transcript of Bayley's Scale of Infant and Toddler Development
Amber Auldridge Bayley's Scale of Infant and Toddler Development Type of Test: Norm-referenced
Year Published: 2005
Author: Nancy Bayley, Ph.D.
Grades/ages: 1-42 months
Administration Time: 30 to 90 minutes
Price: $1,091 for a test kit.
Norming Sample: Represents approximately 1700 infants and toddlers ranked by age and based on the 2000 census. General Information Examine and assess the levels of a child’s development in order to help identify any developmental delays. Purpose of Test Reliability:
Does not show any indications that the Bayley III standard score is inflated.
Met theoretical expectations and are consistent with Peabody Development Motor Scales, Wechsler Preschool and Primary Scale of Intelligence, and the Preschool Language Scale.
Validity test were done within clinical groups and compared with other major tests. Reliability and Validity Training Available in three different formats.
•Fundamental Administration (DVD)
•Enhanced Administration/Scoring Resource (DVD)
Only people who are qualified by being able to administer, analyze and interpret the results. Some qualified personal include social workers, developmental pediatricians, pediatric nurse practitioners, psychiatrists, psychologists, and speech and language therapists. Pros and Cons Pros:
Helps identify children for early intervention.
Involves the parents
Identifies strengths and weaknesses
Can be scored by hand or with software.
Aligns with IDEA requirements for support and intervention. Cons:
Only available in English Suggested Usage Used to determine where a child is developmentally, in order to catch developmental delays early on. It is also used to help teach parents about their child’s development and can be used to chart progress on intervention programs. As for how often it can be administered, it is suggested every 3 months for children younger than 12 months and every 6 months for children over 12 months. Personal Opinion As a group, we agree with the Bayley’s Scale of Infant and Toddler Development, in that it is a hands on test. We also liked how the Bayley’s met the IDEA requirements for support and intervention for children. Overall it seems to be a very reliable test, and it covers five domains, language, cognitive, motor, social-emotional, and adaptive behavior. We also liked how there was a variety of training options and that it includes the parents. But, we didn’t like how long it takes to administer and the cost of the test. Usefulness/Relevance The Bayley’s Scale of Infant and Toddler Development test is useful for teachers to better understand what a child is trying to convey. If a student is unable to speak, they may use hand signals or gestures. Using the results of this test can help us to read these signs. The test also compares the infant or toddler with age norms. Comparison We found two other tests that were similar to the Bayley’s scale of infant and toddler development.
• The first one is the Developmental Profile III. While the Bayley’s only assesses children from one to forty-two months the Developmental Profile III assesses children from birth to twelve years eleven months. They used a norm sample of 2,216 children that were representative of the U.S. population. They also give scores in percentile ranks, stanines, age equivalents, norm-based standard scores, and descriptive ranges. The administration of the test takes from twenty to forty minutes and the test kit costs $220 without the scoring CD and $395 with the scoring CD. The test also has kits that come in Spanish that can be used to assess Spanish-speaking children and the test corresponds to the 5 IDEA developmental domains.
• The Second test we found was the Early Screening Inventory-Revised. This test takes less time than both the Bayley’s and the Developmental Profile III, taking only fifteen to twenty minutes to administer. The age range for the Early Screening Inventory-Revised is also different from the other tests in that it only assesses children from three years to five years eleven months old. The cost of the Early Screening Inventory-Revised is only $141.60 for the kit and $102.95 for the training. This test also has a Spanish version available to buy just like the Developmental Profile III. Which Test? As a group we prefer the Developmental Profile III, because it covers a broader age range and it has a Spanish version as well. It also, has a shorter administration time and a lower cost versus the Bayley’s. The Developmental Profile III covers the 5 IDEA developmental domains, similar to the Bayley’s. Resources Alpern, G. D., & Ph.D.. (n.d.). Developmental profile 3: DP-3 (W-462). WPS. Retrieved November 5, 2012, from http://portal.wpspublish.com/portal/page?_pageid=53,186601&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL
Product - Bayley scales of infant and toddler developmentÂ®, third edition (Bayley-IIIÂ®). (n.d.). Welcome to Pearson assessment & information. Retrieved November 5, 2012, from http://www.pearsonassessments.com/HAIWEB/Cultures/en-us/Productdetail.htm?Pid=015-8027-23X
Product - Early Screening Inventory-Revised (ESI-R) 2008 Edition. (n.d.). Welcome to Pearson assessment & information. Retrieved November 5, 2012, from http://www.pearsonassessments.com/HAIWEB/Cultures/en-us/Productdetail.htm?Pid=PAaESI&Mode=summary
Maccow, G. (2008). Bayley scales of infant and toddler development-third edition
[Data file]. Retrieved from http://www.pearsonassessments.com/hai/images/