Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Skill 17: Invert the Subject and Verb with NEGATIVES
Transcript of Skill 17: Invert the Subject and Verb with NEGATIVES
The secretary is not attending the meeting, nor is her boss.
INVERT with Negatives
When negative expressions come at the beginning of a sentence, the subject and verb are inverted.
NO, BARELY, HARDLY, NOT, ONLY, RARELY, SCARCELY, SELDOM
Only in extremely dangerous situations _________ stopped.
a) will be the printing presses
b) the printing presses will be
c) that the printing presses will be
d) will the printing presses be
E x a m p l e s
1. Not only
, but he also...
3. Hardly ever
When a negative expression appears in the middle of a sentence,
the subject and verb are also inverted. (Examples with
I do not want to go, and neither does Tom.
The negative word "neither" causes the subject "Tom" to come after the auxiliary verb does.
When a negative expression appears in the beginning or in the middle of a sentence, the subject a verb are inverted.
NEGATIVE EXPRESSION, VERB, SUBJECT