Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Buddhism and Family
Transcript of Buddhism and Family
The Six Directions
types of Buddhism:
1. Theravada -
The Doctrine of the Elders
2. Mahayana -
The Great Vehicle
3. Vajrayana (Tibetan) -
The Thunderbolt Vehicle
1. Parent ------------------> Children
2. Husband ---------------> Wife
3. Teacher ------------------> Pupil
4. Friend ------------------> Friend
5. Employer --------> Employee
6. Religious Teacher ---> Disciples
in a marriage
a religious duty
nor is it sacred
of a man or woman
Buddhists believe that
happiness is the purpose
allowed to marry
someone of a different religion
Before marriage, Buddhist couples go to a
Teaching Children How to Meditate
Buddhism and Family
The expectations of the
are meant to provide a structure for a successful marriage and include:
provision of meals
to calm him when he’s upset
sweetness in everything
The Noble Eightfold Path
Buddhism in a Nutshell
1. Life is dukkha.
2. Dukkha arises from craving.
3. The cessation of dukkha is possible.
4. The cessation of dukkha is possible through the practice of the Noble Eightfold Path.
According to the
, there are five duties that should be performed by parents:
is to dissuade children from evil
is to persuade them to do good
is to give the children a good education
is to see that they are married to suitable individuals
is to hand over to them, at the proper time, their inheritance
There are two different types of meditation:
- Vipassana means
to see things as they really are, which aims for the total eradication of mental impurities and results in the highest
of full liberation.
- The practice of calming the mind and its formations, which is done by practicing single-pointed meditation most commonly through mindfulness of breathing.
Types of Meditation
The 5 Steps to Meditation:
1. Relaxing the Body
2. Deep breathing
3. Concentration of the Mind
4. Expansion of the Mind
5. Productive Activity
Kids and Meditation
Instilling Goodness Elementary School
literally means the
528 – 448 B.C.
. He was born
a prince of India
, in what is now,
modern day Nepal
, and lived a very sheltered life. At the age of twenty-nine, he left his kingdom and newborn son to lead an
life and set out to find
to the universal
of the world. After following various methods of meditation, he attained
Buddhists are more likely to have a spouse or partner that is of a different faith compared to members from other religions.
47% marry other Buddhists
27% marry unaffiliated (non-religious groups)
15% marry Protestants
7% marry Catholics
6% marry other affiliations
Buddhists and Intermarriage
Buddhist Intermarriage Among U.S. Asians
Pew Research Center's Religion & Public Life Project
Demographic Research - Is Buddhism the low fertility religion of Asia?
Buddhist Studies - Buddha Dharma Education Association & Buddhanet
A Happy Married Lief: A Buddhist Perspective
By: Ashley, Philip,
Hannah, & Maggie
THE FOUR NOBLE TRUTHS
The Threefold Division
Other guided meditations:
Loving-Kindness Meditation (Metta Bhavana)
Goddess of Fertility
(Guan-Yin or Kuan-Yin) – pregnant women are her faithful followers
, Blessed Mother Kuan-Yin, I pray ye, help me to be fertile, I pray ye, help me to be fruitful, I pray ye, help me to conceive a healthy child, I ask this with all
, I ask this with
, I ask this in your holy name, so be it! Blessed be!
Buddhist women in Thailand tend to have a reduced fertility from an earlier point in time and have
Overall, Buddhist countries’ average fertility is
, compared with the global average of
Buddhists devotees often stress
The Middle Way
in childbearing, which advises against too much or too little procreation
1) Right View
- A viewpoint which transcends all views, a detached way of seeing that does not grasp to any view
- A commitment to good will, harmlessness, and non-violence for all sentient beings
- Abstaining from lying, slander, harsh speech, abusive speech, and idle chatter
- Abstaining from killing, stealing, and sexual misconduct
5) Right Livelihood
- Abstaining from work that, either directly or indirectly, causes harm to other sentient beings
- The need for effort, diligence, exertion, and unflagging perseverance
- Developing awareness of the body, sensations, feelings, and states of mind
- Developing the mental focus necessary for awareness, a one-pointedness of mind
This path is known as
The Middle Way.
It must always be kept in mind that the term ‘path’ is only a figure of speech. Although we talk of a path, ultimately, the eight steps describe eight mental factors, which are
, and function simultaneously; therefore, the elements of the path are not followed and
in any specific order. On the lowest level, each factor should be have some degree of
, it being the key division of Buddhism.