Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Cao Dai
Rituals & Practices
In 1919 Ngo Van Chieu, an administrator for the French in Indochina, received a communication from a superhuman. Chieu became the prophet of the new religion,which was formally established in 1926. Caodaism is the Dai Dao or great religion of this period.
- Cao Dai is a Vietnamese religion factually means 'High Place'
- Date founded: 1929
- Place founded: Southern Vietnam in the city of Tay Ninh
- Age of religion: <200years
- Historical founder: Ngo Van Chieu
- Theism: Monotheistic
- Adherents over 6million
-Praise God as religion's creator and practices 3 teachings: Saint, Sage and Buddha.
- They consider teachings, symbolism and assocation were communicated from God Himself.
- There are about 20 Cao Dai churches/temples in California.
Cao Dai draws upon ethical precepts from Confucianism, occult practices from Taoism and theories of karma and rebirth from Buddhism, with some influence from Catholicism. The supreme being is Cao Dai ("High Tower"), a Taoist epithet for the supreme god. God is represented as the Divine Eye, an eye in a triangle, which appears on the facades of the sect's temples and in followers' homes. It is a left eye, because God is Yang, and Yang is the left side.
Cao Dai encourages obedience to the three duties (between king and citizen, father and child, husband and wife), and five virtues (humanity, obligation, civility, knowledge, reliability) of Confucianism.Cao-Dai disciple has the duty to perfect his spiritual life everyday.
- Practice good and avoid evil
- Observe five Precepts:
do not kill,
do not steal,
do not commit adultery,
do not get drunk,
do not sin by word.
Before God existed there was inly the Tao, or nothingness. Then there was the Big Bang, and the Supreme Being (God) was created. He could not create the universe yet so instead he created Yin, Yang and Mother Buddha. God controlled Yang which is masculine and Mother Buddha, although masculine, was in control of Yin. Through this the universe was created. According to myth, there are 36 levels of heaven to go through before you escape the cycle of life and death, and there are 72 life bearing planets, with 1 being the closes to heaven and 72 closest to hell. Earth ranks 68.