Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
UCLan Seminar "Reclaiming & Redefining Recovery"
Transcript of UCLan Seminar "Reclaiming & Redefining Recovery"
(c) Murray Wilson 2015
Rat Park Prof Alexander
The Globalization of Addiction: A Study in Poverty of the Spirit (2010)
Demonisation, Blame, Fear, Rejection & Hate
substances not generally perceived as 'drugs' embedded in leisure, pleasure & occasion
Socially Constructed Distinctions
What do we mean by drugs?
What do we understand about addiction?
Who struggles to recover and why?
Opportunities, support and social reintegration are more difficult in an era of austerity
Recovery is severely hindered by stigma and discrimination rooted in a hypocritical and misinformed 'Drug War'
The people who struggle to recover often have damaged lives before addiction
Addiction has much more to do with set & setting rather than substance