Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
CFOR 101 (Fa '15) T06 - Disciplined Spirituality 1
Transcript of CFOR 101 (Fa '15) T06 - Disciplined Spirituality 1
(Disciplined Spirituality 1)
US Air Show 2009
How is it possible to fly in formation?
Phil 2:12-13 - How do you understand it?
Phil 2:12-13 - Understanding God's Part - Our Part
- God’s part comes always first (100% his work; v. 13)
- we are 100% involved in God's work ("work out
our salvation;" v. 12)
The Need for Spiritual Disciplines
- they develop and refine our spiritual life (1 Tim 4:7f)
The Blessings of Spiritual Disciplines
- cultivate holy habits
Training versus Trying
immense difference between training and trying
Dependence and Discipline
- spiritual disciplines progressively
cultivate our spiritual life
a) If I do my best to follow Christ until I die, God will help
me and save me.
b) After accepting what Christ has done for me on the
cross, I have to do my best or I will lose salvation.
c) As a Christ follower I am called to display Christ’s life in
my life with all effort.
d) My whole life as a Christ follower is entirely God's work. I
cannot add anything to my salvation.
Grace (God’s work) is not opposed to effort but to earning.
"Living by the Spirit is the root, walking by the Spirit is the fruit. . ." (F. F. Bruce, Galatians, 243.)
- God gives us the desire and empowers us to
accomplish his purposes
"If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit" (Gal. 5:25; ESV)
- spiritual maturity does not happen apart
from human choice
- shape our character
- guides decisions
spiritual transformation is not a matter of trying harder, but of
arrange your life around activities that enable you to live in the fruit of the Spirit
- see the disciplines as responses to divine grace
- see disciplines only as external practices
- radical dependence on God (his grace)
- responsible action (self discipline)
Spiritual disciplines are
. . .
- tools for measuring spirituality
- necessarily unpleasant
- a way to earn favor with God
Cultivating Spiritual Disciplines
- disciplines are valuable simply because they allow
us to do what we cannot do by willpower alone
A spiritual discipline is any activity that can help me gain power to live life as Jesus taught and modeled it
- Select 1 of the 3 words and do some free
writing (~ 3 minutes)
- In groups of 3-4 share what you have written (~10
minutes); each group should come up with 1-2
questions to ask in class
- Please write down 3 words that you
consider important of today's lesson