Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Anadiplosis
1) "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."
- Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
2) "The years to come seemed waste of breath,
waste of breath the years behind." -William Butler Yeats, "An Irish Airman Foresees his Death"
3) "I am Sam, Sam I am." -Dr. Seuss,
Green Eggs and Ham
4) "The love of wicked men converts to fear; That fear to hate, and hate turns one or both to worthy danger and deserved death." -
Turn the lights out
I'll take you by the
it if you
you spend a little
from us so
with me I can
you glad you came
Listen to the song and identify the uses of anadiplosis on your handout!
1) "Repetition of a prominent and usually the last word in one phrase or clause at the beginning of the next"
2) "Repetition of the words or phrase at the end of one sentence, line, or clause at the beginning of the next"
A noun derived from the Latin word
whcih literally means to double or repeat
1) Name one of the rhetorical purposes of anadiplosis.
2) Identify the anadiplosis in the following sentence: •"Aboard my ship, excellent performance is standard. Standard performance is sub-standard. Sub-standard performance is not permitted to exist."
3) Come up with your own example and share with the class!
-Reverend M. Sheeleigh, "Trying Skying"
'Long I looked into the sky, Sky aglow with gleaming stars, Stars that stream their courses high, High and grand, those golden cars, Cars that ever keep their track, Track untraced by human ray, Ray that zones the zodiac, Zodiac with milky-way, Milky-way where worlds are sown, Sown like sands along the sea, Sea whoso tide and tone e'er own, Own a feeling to be free, Free to leave its lowly place, Place to prove with yonder spheres, Spheres that trace athrough all space, Space and years--unspoken years'.
Adds emphasis to the repeated words
Repeated words add rhythm and cadence to the sentence(s)
Helps build a climax through intensity
Often used to show cause and effect or a relationship between two items
"Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.”
"anadiplosis." Dictionary.com. Dictionary.com, n.d. Web. 18 Nov. 2013. <http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/anadiplosis
"anadiplosis." Merriam-Webster. Merriam-Webster, n.d. Web. 18 Nov. 2013. <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anadiplosis>.
"Anadiplosis Examples." - Examples Of Anadiplosis. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Nov. 2013. <http://fos.iloveindia.com/anadiplosis-examples.html>.
"Rhetorical Devices: Anadiplosis | Manner of Speaking." Manner of Speaking. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Nov. 2013. <http://mannerofspeaking.org/2012/02/26/rhetorical-devices-anadiplosis/>.
"anadiplosis." About.com Grammar & Composition. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Nov. 2013. <http://grammar.about.com/od/ab/g/anadipl
"Trying Skying." About.com Grammar & Composition. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Nov. 2013. <http://grammar.about.com/od/rhetoricstyle/a/Trying-Skying.htm>.
"The Wanted - Glad You Came - Cartoon Animation w/Lyrics." YouTube. YouTube, 8 June 2011. Web. 24 Nov. 2013. <