Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM


Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.


The University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign

No description

ISSS Scholar

on 11 October 2018

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of The University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign

International Student & Scholar Services
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
J-1 Visa
I-94: Arrival/Departure Record
Student & Exchange Visitor Information System
Employment is restricted to:
University of Illinois
Host Department
Your specialized field of activity, as indicated on the DS-2019
Payments for other short-term activities (lectures, etc.)
You MUST receive approval from ISSS before the activity occurs
Unauthorized employment can cause your J-1 program to be terminated.

Absolutely no more than 2 courses for credit per semester
Likely, you will have to pay full tuition/fees yourself
Speak to professor for permission to audit class if you do not wish to receive credit

Taking UI Courses
Number of
Visa Type
ID Number
Program Dates
Government database of international students and J-1s. Important SEVIS requirements:
Change of local home address must be reported within 10 days of moving
Update in iStart
Health insurance required for all J-1s and J-2s
Requirements are given in the J-1 Program Handbook

Travel Outside
the U.S.
Look in the J-1 Program Handbook at "Automatic Revalidation for special information about travel to Canada, Mexico & adjacent islands.
Travel Outside of the U.S.
Documents required when traveling:
Valid Passport
Valid U.S. Entry Visa (except Canadian citizens)
DS-2019 signed by ISSS for travel
If you are going to be out of the U.S. for more than 30 days, request an extended absence and get approval from ISSS.
International travel and re-entry into the U.S. is not allowed during the 30-day grace period.

Travel Outside of the U.S.
Research Scholar/Professor:
5 year maximum stay
Short-Term Scholar:
6 month maximum stay
12 month maximum stay
Determined by your sponsoring department

Exchange Visitor Category Time Limits
What is it?
Requires certain J’s to return home for at least 2 years before changing status or returning to the U.S. in H, L, K, or immigrant status
You are subject if:
Funding is from U.S. or home country government
Your field of work and country appear on the “Exchange Visitor Skills List”

Two-Year Home Residence Requirement 212(e)
Two-Year Home Residence Requirement 212(e)
Two-Year Home Residence Requirement 212(e)
The 212E information on your visa and DS-2019 is sometimes incorrect.
If you think there is a mistake, contact ISSS for assistance.
It is often possible to obtain a waiver through the U.S. State Department. Consult ISSS before applying for a waiver.

Two-Year Home Residence Requirement 212(e)
Spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 are eligible for J-2 status
Issued their own DS-2019s, but the dates will match the J-1
Must have the minimum health insurance coverage
Will be subject to the Two-Year Home Residence Requirement if J-1 is subject
Can study and apply to USCIS for work permission
Must follow same guidelines as J-1 when traveling
Should not stay in the U.S. for more than 30 days without the J-1.
Notify ISSS if J-2s leave the U.S. before your program ends


J-1 participants who fail to meet the requirements may have their programs terminated
Causes of termination:
Failure to pursue J-1 activity
Failing to maintain the required insurance coverage
Violation of program regulations such as unauthorized employment
If your program is terminated, it may be difficult for you to obtain another visa in the future.

Program Termination
Restrictions on starting a new J program in the Research Scholar or Professor categories:
One-year bar:
If you have been in J-1 status for more than 6 months (in any J category or as a J-2, you must be out of J status for one year before you can start a J program as a Research Scholar or Professor.
Two-year bar on repeat participation:
If you have been a J-1 Research Scholar or Professor for any amount of time, you must be out of J-1 status for two years before you can start a new program as a Research Scholar or Professor.

Starting a New J-Program
If you move
to a new address, update it in iStart or contact ISSS
Do not change jobs
without contacting ISSS
Do not accept payment
for activity outside the University of Illinois without advance approval from ISSS
Have all required documents
when traveling abroad
Don’t stay longer than your 30-day grace period

Important Points to Remember
Department must complete Departure Data Sheet
You must leave the U.S. or apply for change of status or J transfer within 30 days after end of J program
During the 30-day grace period:
You cannot work or take classes
You cannot travel outside U.S. and re-enter in J-1 status

Please visit our website to review any of the topics covered in today's orientation

Martin McFarlane - Director
Cheryl Hinkel - Senior Assistant Director
Briaunna Antoine - Senior Assistant Director
Kara Porter - International Advising Specialist
Lauren Karplus - International Advising Specialist
Dylan Thomas - Advising Assistant
Jessica Tran - Advising Assistant
Staff Members
ISSS Signature Required Here
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
International Studies Building
910 South 5th Street, Rm. 327
Champaign, IL 61820
Phone: 217-333-1303 option 2
International Student & Scholar Services
Full transcript