Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
From Racial Literacy to Cultural Responsiveness: Building Classrooms that Work for All Students
Transcript of From Racial Literacy to Cultural Responsiveness: Building Classrooms that Work for All Students
TACD - Summer Institute
Yolanda Sealey-Ruiz, Ph.D.
Teachers College, Columbia University
From Racial Literacy to Cultural Responsiveness:
Building Classrooms that Work for All Students
Inviting Lives into the Classroom
Writing for Full Presence
- On Your Mind
- Innermost Thoughts
- What would keep you from being
Fully Present in our Community
Goals for Today:
Create a Space to discuss race and culture in affirming ways
Challenge our understanding of how race impacts our classrooms
Open ourselves to the idea of inviting culture into the classroom
Explore ways to build communities which provide the tools to discuss race, and put culture at the center of the curriculum in a way that affirms all students.
Creating a Shared Language
- What is Racial Literacy?
- What is Culturally Responsive Pedagogy?
- How are the two concepts related?
Things We Know About Race and Racism:
- Race and racism are socially constructed
- The social construction of race is used to mask unequal distribution of power
- Inequities are perpetuated through racism
- Racism is normalized and endemic
What Would You Have Said to the Girls?
- As their teacher?
- As their parent?
- As their administrator?
- As a family friend?
What is Culture?
How does Race and Culture become Conflated?
How do we untangle them without dismissing the individual?
Unpacking the Cultural Knapsack
gloria ladson race quite frm florence presentation