Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Composition in the Elementary and Middle School Music Class:
Transcript of Composition in the Elementary and Middle School Music Class:
a Creative Means of Assessment
Individual, concrete work
Archive student progress (portfolio)
Start NOW while students are developing musicians
Language arts correlation
What to Compose?
How to Compose?
Complete a given phrase
Reorganize known elements
Lessons within this Session
1. Through movement: opening
2. Primary Grades- rhythmic building blocks with manipulatives
3. Intermediate Grades- melodic elements for recorder
4. Middle Grades- create a melody given a harmonic structure
Activities are student-centered
Teacher acts as facilittator (flipped classroom)
Work is concrete and tangible
Student work is inividual, and unique
As the teacher, you MUST give the students the structure of composition. This will become your assessment rubric.
Becky Burdett, Lake-Lehman School District
Folk dances- clear forms, gross motor that leads to later development of fine motor skills.
Teaching dance sequences with elemental music can lead to the organization of the whole self. (Phyllis Weikert,
Music training allows for the "ability to organize, follow intricate sequences, or to hold great volumes of information in the mind." (Oliver Sacks,