Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Trait Leadership Theory
Transcript of Trait Leadership Theory
Most important traits are subjective Appealing
Century of research Limitations Traits of
Great Men Which traits? Innate or Learned? Application King College A Leader Great? world-famous-people.blogspot.com bornsmart.com.au Situational?? scholarixsolution.com 1948 & 1974 "No consistent set of traits differentiated leaders
from nonleaders across a variety of situations." 1904-1947 124 Traits: Individuals in leadership differ from group members in eight traits: Intelligence
Sociability "Both personality and situational factors are determinants of leadership." 1948-1970 163 Traits 10 traits associated with leadership: 1. Drive for responsibility and task completion
2. Vigor and persistence in pursuit of goals
3. Risk taking and originality in problem solving
4. Drive to exercise initiative in social situations
5. Self-confidence and sense of personal identity
6. Willingness to accept consequences of decisions
7. Readiness to absorb interpersonal stress
8. Willingness to tolerate frustration
9. Ability to influence other people's behavior
10. Capacity to structure social interaction systems Personality traits distinguish leaders from non-leaders. Eight Areas: INTELLIGENCE
CONSERVATISM "It is unequivocally clear that leaders are not like other people." Six Traits: DRIVE
TASK KNOWLEDGE Focuses on the leader
Does not consider situation or follower Strengths Strengths Personal benchmark Useable Personality and Leadership Assessments
Self Aware Summary Traits of Leaders?
Research - Stogdill, Mann, Kirkpatirck
SOCIABILITY Northhouse (2010) References Northouse, P. G. (2009). Leadership: Theory and
practice (5th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
Roussel, L. & Swansburg, R.C. (2009). Management and leadership for nurse administrators (5th ed.). Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett Publishers. Yoder-Wise, P. & Kowalski, K. (2006). Beyond
leading and managing: Nursing administration for the future. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier. Different Traits, Different Strengths. (2009). H&HN:
Hospitals & Health Networks, 83(1), 29. Zuber, J. (2007). The nature of leadership. AORN
Journal, 86S135-6. Cavell, D. P. (2007). leadership or followership: one or
both?. Hfm (Healthcare Financial Management), 61(11), 142-144. Northouse (2009) Northouse (2009) Northouse (2009)