Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Discipline 2
Dr. Johnson Created by: Madison Gearhart
and Ellie Streng Discipline with Dignity Dr. Allen Mendler Dr. Richard Curwin Philosophy Places an emphasis on developing
effective frameworks and
strategies for educators,
youth professionals, and
parents to help youth
at risk succeed. 1. Born: October 21, 1949, in Middle Village,
Queens, New York. Dr. Al l e n M e n d l e r 1. Provides thousands of educators Philosophy Mistakes can become opportunities for
learning, and provide teachers a chance to
teach respect and
self-discipline. D r. R i c h a r d C u r w i n and parents with practical, proven ideas to
effectively manage children’s behavior 2. Provides solutions that respects the dignity of the individual. Accomplishments 1. Has written many books:
a. Motivating Students Who Don’t Care
b. Connecting with Students
c. What Do I Do When …?
d. MORE What Do I Do When …?
e. Power Struggles: Successful Techniques for Educators, and Handling Difficult Parents. 2. Co-Author with Curwin in writing Dignity with Discipline for Challenging Youth 3. Won the 2007 Association of Educational Publishers Distinguished Achievement Award in School/Class Management Technology. 5. Provides training on classroom management, discipline, and motivating difficult students.mistakes can become opportunities for learning, and provide teachers a chance to teach respect and self-discipline.
6. Dr. Mendler earned his undergraduate degree in psychology and education from Queens College, master’s degree in psychology from Alfred University, and doctorate in school psychology from Union Graduate School 4. Has worked with children of all ages a. General education settings b. Special education setting 3. Is an Educator and a school psychologist 2. Currently resides in Rochester, New York. Accomplishments 1. Curwin has written many books:
a. Rediscovering Hope: Our Greatest
b. Making Good Choices
c. Motivating Students Left Behind 3. His philosophy on discipline, behavior, and classroom management is one of the most widely used in the world. 4. Curwin received his B.A. in English and his Doctorate of Education at the University of Massachusetts in Amherst. 2. His most recent book: Meeting Students Where They Live: Motivation in Urban Schools
a. offers multiple ideas and practical strategies for motivating children who have given up and are uninvolved in the learning process. 3. He is currently the director of the master’s program in behavior disorder at David Yellin College.
4. Dr. Curwin is the parent of 3 children and 7 wonderful grandchildren. Discipline Dimensional 3 D
k Prevention A
n Resolution 1. Be aware of self
(the teacher's self). 2. Be aware the students. 3. Express genuine feelings. 4. Become knowledgeable about alternative theories. 5. Establish social contracts 6. Reduce stress. 7. Implement social contracts. 1. Be consistent by always
implementing a consequence. 2. Simply state the rule and consequence
(when rule is broken). 3. Use the power of proximity by being physically close to the student when implementing a consequence. 4. Make direct eye contact when delivering a consequence. 5. Use a soft voice. 6. Catch a student being good. 7. Don't embarrass the student in front of his or her peers. 8. Be firm and anger-free while giving
the consequence. 9. Do not accept excuses,
bargaining, or whining. 1. Positive student
confrontation strategies. 2. Family intervention process. 3. Comprehensive social contract. S
s 1. Many actions and techniques may be used to deal
with limit setting with a difficult student.
2. Collection of personal wisdom, suggestions, and host
of techniques such as "active listening", logical consequences from Dreikurs, and behavior analysis techniques, and many others.
3. Creates an eclectic discipline model by selecting methods and techniques from various other models or traditional practices used in schools. L
s 1. Lack of clear theoretical or conceptual framework.
2. 80% of writing is personal ideas or wisdom without
any coherent organizer to give meaning and relationship
to give meaning.
3. Techniques are presented with inadequate definition, such as insubordination rule or active listening. S
s continued... 1. Developed models can be useful for
2. Teachers can find help with the
"social contract" activity.
Should enlist the help of:
a. Fellow teachers
c. parents Mendler's ideas on successful classroom
management strategies: Discipline with Dignity Now, let's meet the authors Let's explore: After our..... B. Prevention
Resolution!! What are the
dimensions? A. Prevention
Discipline B. Prevention
Resolution C. Reconstitution
Time!! Our dance
example of: A. Action B. Intention C. Prevention C. Prevention! True or False:
It is appropriate
a student as a
consequence. False! The consequence that
would best fit not
finished would be: B. No Recess A. Reduction
of grade C. Losing their chair A. Reduction of grade! Who were the authors
of the book Discipline
with Dignity: A. Robert Curwin
Albert Mendler B.
Allen Curwin C. Richard Curwin
and Allen Mendler C. Richard Curwin and
Everston, C.M., & Emmer, E. T. (2013).
Classroom management for elementary
teachers. (9th ed.). Upper Saddle River,
NJ: Pearson Education, Inc. 205
Wolfgang, C.H. (2009). Solving
discipline and classroom management
problems: Methods and models for
today’s teacher. (7th ed.). Edison NJ:
John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 134-142 Teacher learning center. (n.d.).
Retrieved from https://www.tlc-
sems.com/allen-mendler.aspx Teacher learning center. (n.d).
Retrieved from https://www.tlc-
sems.com/richard-curwin.aspx Justin Karras. (2011, July 18).
Curwin and mendler. Retrieved from
oBLHW1U&feature=realted corwinpress. (2009, September 14).
Allen mendler. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=