Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Copy of Transition In Asia
Transcript of Copy of Transition In Asia
Long periods of no communication
Lack of communication between the changing of generations
•The New RFID tags give employee freedom
Problem: Wong Lung and Hei believe John gives workers too much autonomy
•“They are getting too sloppy”-Wong Lung
Why does he say this?
1. Power Distance (PDI)
- How power in different cultures is distributed unequally
- Either low or high.
- In this case, PDI is very .
2. Individualism versus Collectivism (IDV)
- Whether the self-image is “I” or “we”.
- In this case, the culture is very collectivistic.
- Family business
Confucian Hierarchy Structure
Autocratic Decision Making
Decision Making Style
Why do Hei and Lung have problems with this?
Increasing production capacity to meet sales demand
Family values in business
Problems: lack in persistence
The factory workers
Extrinsic motivation: financial incentive, maximize working hours
Poor work-life balance and low efficiency
- With John Stiles: too much flexibility, declining quality.
- With Wong Hei: low compensation, little commitment to come back.
Position: Interim manager
Does the Right Things
Hei and Wong are used to having all the power
Asian Cultures High UAI
Unknown: Will greater autonomy increase production
Knowledge of the Business
Competencies of Effective Leaders – Wong
3. Masculinity versus Femininity (MAS)
- How large the gender role is in a society.
4. Uncertainty Avoidance (UAI)
- The extent to which a culture avoids uncertainty
- Either strong or weak
- Strong UAI
5. Short -and Long-Term Orientation (LTO)
- Whether the focus is based in the present or in the future.
- The typical Asian culture is medium/long term orientated.
The company focuses a lot on the long term decisions
Bring the son to the meeting
Make him aware of the problems
Make him ready to take over
Make sure he is aware of culture differences!
More open Communication Channels
Email 2-3 times a week
Lung and Hei
-The positives associateed with high Autonomy Levels
-Asian culture often low in Autonomy
Autocratic => Consultative
Compensation: piece-rate pay and lump-sum bonus
Extrinsic motivation: Recognition as the Captain of the production floor
"Since Stiles's arrival, Hei seemed to have taken a back seat and lost his usual motivation."
Problems: Hei and middle-management are not co-operating.
Intrinsic motivation: Production capacity & efficiency.
- Attempts to fix problems outside of his duties
- Temporary consultant and an outsider
CEO of Guanghe Clothes Manufacturing (Guanghe Province, China)
CEO of Interim management firm, Transitions Asia
COO of Guanghe Manufacturing
Wong Lung's son, future CEO
Wong in need of Interim Management to implement change
Chee decides an American, John Stiles is right fit
3 months later Chee finds out " a few people in his management are threatening to quit" because of John Stiles
Why? How should Chee deal with this?