Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
The Just Condemnation of
Transcript of The Just Condemnation of
The Impartial God
12 For all who have sinned without the law will also perish without the law, and all who have sinned under the law will be judged by the law.
13 (For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified. 14 For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them)
16 on that day when, according to my gospel, God judges the secrets of men by Christ Jesus.
How can God's Judgment be Just toward those that have been moral and religious?
How can God's Judgment be Just when people have never heard the Gospel?
The Justice of God on the Morally Religious
Knowledge is not the same as obedience
"You are my friends if you do what I command you."
1 John 2:3
"And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments."
"So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin."
The True Law
“37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment. 39 And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40 On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”
Since we are God's chosen people and since we have received and know the Law of God then we are exempt from the condemnation and wrath of God.
The Justice of God on the
If people are to be judged by their obedience to the Law, how does a just God judge those that have never heard the Law?
They have a law to themselves and are judged by this law. It is their moral consciousness.
Vs. 14 They do some of the Law
- They don't do all of the law
- They regulate behavior
- This is proof of moral awareness
Vs. 15 The Works of the Law are Written on Their Hearts
Vs. 15 Their thoughts accuse or excuse them
- Their awareness of right and wrong is a reflection of the Law they never heard
- It is an external awareness they actively suppress
- People prosecute or defend themselves by appealing to these commonly held beliefs of right and wrong
The Jews received and rejected the Law and the Special Revelation of God as shown in their disobedience
The Gentiles received and rejected their Moral Consciousness and the General Revelation of God as shown in their disobedience
Wrong Views of this Critical Text
1. Jews were justified by keeping the law
2. God has written His Law on the hearts of all men
3. People can be saved by living up to the light they have
No one is saved by the keeping of the Law
“19 Now we know that whatever the law says it speaks to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be stopped, and the whole world may be held accountable to God. 20 For by works of the law no human being will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.”
1. If a person could keep the Law perfectly (loving God and others) they would be justified.
2. No man desires or can keep this Law perfectly since there are none righteous Romans 3:10.
3. No man is justified by the works of the Law Romans 3:20.
Gentiles are not saved by the Law written on their hearts
“1 O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? It was before your eyes that Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified. 2 Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith?”
“16 “This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my laws on their hearts, and write them on their minds,” 17 then he adds, “I will remember their sins and their lawless deeds no more.”
No one lives up to the light they have