Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Copy of Theme
Transcript of Copy of Theme
What is this story really about? Examples Value statements Abstract noun + Value Statement = Something you can think of, but can't touch. (Use an abstract noun) Theme is an idea or topic that is repeated in a text.
It could also be considered the "moral" or "lesson learned" in a text.
A theme can be applied to MANY stories as well as real-life. People who aren't greedy will go farther in life than those who are greedy. Using the abstract noun, write
a sentence about what the
author is trying to tell the readers
about the idea. Good will conquer evil. Take responsibility of growing up. What if I'm having a hard time
figuring out what the story is about? Ask yourself:
1. What does a character learn or discover?
2. What is the main conflict in the story? Now you!
1. Pick a movie or book or a story.
2. Write down 3 abstract nouns that
describe what it's about.
3. Write a values statement for each--what is the
author saying to us as readers about that idea?
4. Pick your best one and share with the class.
You've picked out a theme. (author opinion) In this example, Simba returns to become king of the land after his father, Mufasa, is killed by Scar. The Lion King How would you describe what Simba must do now that his father is no longer alive? take responsibility Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory What word would you use to describe Veruca Salt (which would also describe many of the other characters in this story)? greedy A Little Princess This is a story of a little girl who is living at a boarding school. When her father goes missing, it is thought that Sara can no longer pay for school, so she must live in the attic and "earn her keep." imagination What did Sara have to do in order to make a hard living situation bearable? Harry Potter good and evil What words would you use to describe the relationship between the wizards Harry and Lord Voldemort? An imagination is a powerful tool that can help through dark times. Stop video after Simba roars. Stop video after girls talk about their dream breakfast...when the camera pans out.