Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Public Relations
- History and Definition -
Ancient time; Julius Caesar's military reports and commentaries for personal and political relations
American Revolution; Early patriots use of public opinion to play an important role in the struggle with England.
A parlor game based on the
"six degrees of separation" posits any two people on Earth are six or fewer acquaintance links apart.
The Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon
WHAT IS PR?
Involved working with public opinion pursuits positivity to clients
Concerned communication with internal and external publics
Management Function to set goals and adapt a changing environment
Mass media and machine assisted communication
Interpersonal Comm X
Promotion: Staging events, planning enterprises to attract media or public attention
PR: Encompassing broader area
more than just attention.
Publicity: Placing of stories in the media with one-way communication
PR: Two-way communication
Tool For PR Process
Readers Digest Interpretation
If the circus is coming to town
and paint a sign saying
"Circus coming to the Fairground Saturday!"
If the elephant walks through the mayor's flower bed and the newspaper reports it.
If you put the sign
on the back of an elephant
and walk into town.
If you get the mayor
to laugh about it and forgive you.
- Staged Boston Tea Party to gain public attention
- Skillful writers' political propaganda to swing public opinion to their side
Pioneer IVY LEE
Declaration of Principles: Openness and honesty in dealing with the public when he Confronted with Coal Industry
During WW1, Wilson set up Creel Committee to mount a campaign to persuade the media to donate space for ads that Americans to save food and to buy war bonds
"TO MAKE THE WORLD SAFE FOR DEMOCRACY"
Power of well-planned and well-executed PR campaign and helped legitimize PR field
American customer looked upon business with suspicion and distrust
Federal Government in its attempt to cope with the bad economic climate, used good PR to its advantage
Introduced NEW DEAL reform program complete with promotional campaigns to win public acceptance
Why PR is important?
During Second Half of the 20th Century...
Corporations' recognition of social responsibility to serve the public
Tide of consumerism caused to be more responsive and communicative with customers
Complexity of modern corporations and government agencies made it hard to get the message to public without a specific department
PR in Digital Age
Communicating with the Audience
WEBSITES, BLOGS, PODCASTS
Communicating with the Media
WEB- Significant channel of communications for brands and consumers, shareholders
PODCASTS-More interactive features
Blog- offers deals on products and response to the fans' comments
Through its direct and immediate link to the consumer and encourage two-way communication
THE GLOBAL BRANDS 2013 BY INTERBRAND
PR in Digital Age
TELEPHONE -> Email and Facebook, Twitter
Websites became an important channel in distributing information to the media
Easier target searching for professionals
e.g, A PR NEWSWIRE APP FOR IPHONE ALLOWS PRESS RELEASE TO BE DISTRIBUTED VIA MOBILE MEDIA
SNS MAKES PR AVAILABLE 24/7
CAN QUICKLY BECOMES SNOWBALL EFFECTS TO CUSTOMERS
eg. BP Oil rig explosion
2010, Gulf of Mexico had an explosion occurred on the Deepwater Horizon Oil Rig, drilling platform owned by BP.
It killed 11 crewmakers and massive oil leak lasted for months
a Global Oil and Natural Gas company based in Britain
COMPANY'S MISTAKE IN DIGIT AGE
1. UNDERESTIMATED THE ONLINE NEWS AND BLOGGERS
- Should have a comprehensive and up-to-date crisis strategy in place before a calamity occurs.
2. Companies need to be transparent and honest when it comes to describing the extent of the crisis
- BP announced after explosion, "NO OIL WAS LEAKING"
- After 2 days, "1,000 barrels per day was LEAKING!"
- A Week later, "5,000!"
- Congressional committee pressured to release live video of the spill taken by BP -> SPILLCAM
Was posted on Congressional Committee's website
Many accessed and it finally crashed the House of Representatives web system
" NOTHING CAN BE KEPT IN PRIVATE IN INTERNET AGE"
BP was lax in its use of Social Media before the spill.
- On Tweeter, YouTube many people tweets on parody and criticize what the company had done.
- Launched $50 m advertising and PR campaign to restore image
"might have been better
spent that money
on cleaning beaches!"
More than an year after the spill..
BP Ended up to set $20b fund to compensate victims