Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Importance of Film Scores
Transcript of The Importance of Film Scores
2. Technical importance
3. Film music, then and now EMOTION: 1. Source Music According to musicologist, Zofia Lissa 4. Basis for Audience Emotions Music in Movies Basic terms: Film music theory 101 Diegetic Non-Diegetic 2. Representation of Location 3. Expression of actors' emotions Case #1 Case #2 5. Enhancement of film's structure: Leitmotifs - recurrent theme throughout a musical or literary composition. Finally, 6. Anticipation of subsequent action
. 7. Emphasis of movement and sound Technical Importance Direct attention to important features on the screen Continuity Branding Film Industry, Then and Now Silent Film Era 1890's - approx. 1927 Live music to mask extraneous noise Talkies 1927, The Jazz Singer - Musical experimentation, innovation 1970's: John Williams! Film Industry now! : Trend in electronic, synthesizer music Scores can draw from numerous influences (not just classical) Digital sampling replace real instruments Digital programs replace orchestras The Composer's role: Composing happens AFTER filming Spotting, Syncing, Orchestration THEN recording sound with a visible source on the screen music from the film world ex. singing, the music from the radio... sound is not visible on the screen
source is from outside the film world ex. orchestral score, underlying soundtrack The Functions of Film Music