Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Optical Illusions between Perception and Truth
Transcript of Optical Illusions between Perception and Truth
optical illusions tell us
about sense perception
and truth? So one summer I went on a Road Trip.. so if So if I can see a mirage and you can
too.. if I can take a picture of it and
show it to everyone does that mean
that it is really there? What Are Optical Illusions?
* visually perceived images that differ from objective reality. The information gathered by the eye is processed in the brain to give a percept that does not tally with a physical measurement of the stimulus source. Physiological illusions *the effects on the eyes or brain
of excessive stimulation of a specific type
- brightness, tilt, color, movement, etc. Cognitive illusions
* Cognitive illusions are assumed to arise by interaction with assumptions about the world, leading to "unconscious inferences", an idea first suggested in the 19th century by Hermann Helmholtz. Cognitive illusions are commonly divided into ambiguous illusions, distorting illusions, paradox illusions, or fiction illusions. Illusions * Mind games that a person
cannot discern. Truth Defined & sense Perception Plato, Hegel and Marx:
*The Real is the Rational and the Rational is the Real
*The Rational Is the Existent Object Karl Popper and Thomas Kuhn:
there is no one truth because there is nothing "really out there." Coherence theory of truth: * theories are instruments that are useful for calculating and predicting. Pragmatic theory of truth Perhaps we should give up the pursuit of Truth (with a capital T) and begin thinking that truth is really a way we have of speaking of what we agree on and what we find persuasive. In this way we should focus on truths (with a small t).