Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Wizard of Oz Introductory Lesson
Transcript of The Wizard of Oz Introductory Lesson
With a partner sitting next to
you, make a list of words
or phrases that come to mind
when I say
"The Wizard of Oz"
Who are the main characters?
- The Scarecrow
- The Tin Man
- The Cowardly Lion
- The Wizard of Oz
- The Wicked Witch of the West
- Glinda the Good Witch of the North
What is the plot of the story?
- Between the 1940s-1960s, there are
many adaptations of the Wizard of Oz
- There are adaptations on ice and Disney
even tries to adapt it.
- 1974: animated film Journey Back to Oz
is released as an official sequel to the 1939 film
- 1975: The Wiz puts Oz in the context
of African-American culture
- is set in New York City in modern day
- movie released in 1978 with Diana Ross
as Dorothy and Michael Jackson as
Here is a clip:
- 2003: Wicked is adapted
into a Tony award-winning
Here is a clip of the song "Defying
Gravity." It is a popular song from
the musical and was made popular
- 2011: Oz - The Wonderful Wizard is released as a full
- 2012: Andrew Lloyd Webber announces a new show on CBC called "Over The Rainbow" to find the girl who will play Dorothy in his new musical adaptation of "The Wizard of Oz" in Toronto.
- 2013: Oz The Great and Powerful is released
- 2013: Dorothy of Oz animated movie released
- wrote the original story in 1900
- was always fascinated by the theatre
- tried many other jobs before becoming an author
- wrote at least 13 sequels to Oz
- wrote a musical version of the story
- died in Hollywood in 1919.
- between 1902 and 1925
many versions of The Wizard of Oz are made and they all are silent films
- Here is a clip from the 1910 version, directed by Otis Turner
- 1939: The MGM movie starring Judy
Garland is released.
- this is the movie that most people know
- made Judy Garland a big star and gave
the world songs such as "Over The Rainbow"
Here is the 1939 movie trailer:
- 1985: Disney releases
an unofficial sequel called Return to Oz that uses many character from Baum's sequel novels
- 1995: Wicked is published and gives a back story about the Wicked Witch of the West