Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
SETI- The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence
Transcript of SETI- The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence
• With the same conclusion, Frank Drake independently conducted the first microwave radio search for signals from other solar systems. • In the 1960’s SETI was dominated by the Soviet Union, who took the approach of using omnidirectional (all directions) antennas to observe large chunks of sky in hopes any advanced civilizations were radiating large amounts of transmitter power. • Starting in the 1970’s, California began its long term search and looked for new technology to reach effective findings, beginning with “Project Cyclops”. The program is sponsored by a variety of different programs including NASA Headquarters, Pacific Science Center, the Department of Energy, and many more. Branches of SETI Center for SETI Research -Focuses efforts on finding evidence of other technological civilizations -Develops machines that send signals into the unknown to search for said civilizations -SETI is searching to answer a few main questions: 1.) How does life begin and evolve?
2.) Does life exist elsewhere in the universe?
3.) What is the future of life on Earth and beyond? • Research and Development: • Signal processing algorithms
• New search strategies • Projects • New strategies first field tested then successful methods applied to developing further advancements
• Setiquest.org (see more) • A joint project with UC Berkeley, when finished will equal a 100-meter radio telescope
• “A Large Number of Small Dishes” designed to be highly effective for simultaneous surveys of conventional radio astronomy projects and SET observations at centimeter wavelengths.
• Currently being used for radio astronomy observations of our galaxy and other galaxies, gamma ray bursts, and transient radio sources, and SETI. Carl Sagan Center Who is carl Sagan? • Founder and member of the Planetary Society, he was an American astronomer, astrophysicist, cosmologist, and author. Most importantly, he was a member of the SETI Institute Board of Trustees; his position was the Chairman of the Division for Planetary Science of the American Astronomical Society. The center focuses on the study of Astrobiology (study of other planets on which life may exist) How life survives and evolves
How often intelligence appears
The Drake Equation studies other planets on which life may
allows astrobiologists to study the origin of life and extent to which life may be present beyond earth.
Estimates number of civilizations that may exist in our galaxy
The equation is usually written: N = R* • fp • ne • fl • fi • fc • L Where N = The number of civilizations in The Milky Way Galaxy whose electromagnetic emissions are detectable. Project Phoenix o Two sessions per year; each about three to four weeks long.
o Searched for signals between 1,200 and 3,000 MHz o Primary Goal: carefully examine the regions around 1,000 nearby sun-like stars using the world’s largest antennas
o an effort to detect extraterrestrial civilizations by listening for radio signals either deliberately beamed our way or were inadvertently transmitted from another planet. THe program ran from
1995-2004 Started in New South Wales, Australia
then moved to an observatory in Green bank, West Virginia
Its final destination was in Arecibo, Puerto Rico Projects The Allen Telescope Array (in progress) Optical SETI Lick Observatory’s 40 inch Nickel Telescope now has a new pulse-detection system capable of finding laser searches and has cut out the possibility of false alarms with its addition of 3 light detectors (also known as photomultipliers).
“Considered one of the most sensitive optical SETI searches yet undertaken” –Frank Drake
requires that any extraterrestrial civilization be deliberately signaling in the direction of our solar system A community involvement that will lead to a significant improvement in our ability to search for other intelligent civilizations in the cosmos •The SETI Institute's program in interstellar message composition addresses some of the most critical questions humankind will face if we detect extraterrestrial intelligence: Should we reply?
If we do, what should we say?
How can we create messages that would be understood on other worlds? SETIquest &
Interstellar Message Composition Education and Public Outreach
programs The Search for extraterrestrial intelligence is a growing topic across the globe; This is why SETI has a branch completely dedicated to educating the public on the subject matter. with more than three million listeners yearly, the SETI podcast is a popular way of hearing about new advancements in the program. feed://podcast.seti.org/index.xml Sceptic Check: Diluted Thinking http://hw.libsyn.com/p/6/4/f/64f1cfcaab6116ff/AWA_11-02-28.mp3?sid=ca83b1935b34afb9d88df237adb575a5&l_sid=18660&l_eid=&l_mid=2467596 Voyages through time- high school curriculum
has taught at more than 400 schools
supported by more than 90 specially-trained teachers
Astrobiology summer science Experience for Teachers
Provides professional development for several hundred teachers a year with help from summer institutes, speakers, workshops, shour courses, and exhibits at science and education conferences.
Research Experience for Undergraduates
brings talented young women and men from across the nation to the Institute for an intensive 10-week summer research experience.
Supported by the NSF, NASA, and private donors SOFIA Sofia is going to be the largest airborne observatory in the world, accomodating a 2.5 meter relfecting telescope on it's modified Boeing 747SP aircraft design.
Sofia will be able to make observations that are impossible for the largest and highest ground-based telescopes. infrared image of the Orion star-formation complex from Sofia's first science flight Seti@Home SETI@home is a scientific experiment that uses computers with an internet connection in the search for extraterrstrial intelligence. Anybody is able to participate by running a simple and free program that downloads and analyzes radio telescope data. Jill Tarter an american astronomer and the current director of the Center for SETI research. holds the Bernard m oliver chair for seti at the institute has worked on project SERENDIP, Project Phoenix, and was the co-creator of the Habcat Sources:
http://setiquest.org/ This was brought to you by: justine rideout & Erica Spang SETI aims to find evidence of another civilization’s technology. SETI is always on the search for engineered radio signals (using the Allen Telescope Array) and for short, bright laser pulses (using optical telescopes at Lick Observatory