Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Uniting Whole Community to Prevent LGBT Bullying
Transcript of Uniting Whole Community to Prevent LGBT Bullying
* Adding representation of many identities to curricula and discourse
* Training teachers directly in what bullying is and how to respond
* Teaching students to recognize, respect, and defend the emotions of others
* Social Emotional Learning
* Human Rights Education
Uniting the Whole Community
Preventing LGBTQ Bullying
Who Am I?
Biased Based Bullying
What's Your Call to Action?
What Do You Know
Who Are We?
* 2010 there were 4 national suicides in month of September alone.
* All four suicides were teenagers (ages 13-18) and each child was bullied for being gay or perceived to be gay.
* Reinforcement of need for cultural shifts and components needed for cultural shifts
* Recognition that LGBTQ specific bullying prevention training, policies, and programs DID NOT exist in Greater Cincinnati.
Why We Formed
3 key components:
-Repeated, or potential to be
Significant Impact on Youth
Who Are You?
Gay Bullying: Chillicothe, Ohio
Right to learn & obtain an education
Right to be free from persecution
Right to be free from discrimination
All Youth Must Have Equal Rights...
Framing Task Force Work
Level 5: Building this Level
Level 3: Strong Focus
Level 6: Leaning In...
Level 2: Peppered Throughout
Level 1: @ Baseline
Level 4: Our Starting Place
School Summit Design Process via Spectrum Framework
Fostering Coalitions & Networks
Issue was too common, complex, & consequential for one agency
Strengthening Individual Knowledge & Skills
First Annual Summit: Put LGBT bullying on Awareness Map/36 attendees/3 hours
Second Annual Summit:
* 140+ attendees/All Day
* 2 National Keynotes
* Breakout Workshops
Changing Organizational Practices
School Climate of Safety via Diversity & Inclusion
Influencing Policy & Legislation
-2014 Report TBR with Recommendations from Task Force:
-Networking/Advocating Statewide Conferences on Inclusion of LGBT Bullying Prevention
-Advocating for Student Non-Discrimination Act (SNDA)
-Advocating for School Policies that are enumerated
-Promoting Diversity & INclusion School Gay Straight Alliances
-Advocating for federal national surveys to ask about LGBT identified bullying
Our Inspiration for Change