Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Literature and Writers
Transcript of Literature and Writers
The Beginnings of American Literature
Distinct American Writers
The Knickerbocker Group
Irving, Fennimore Cooper, Cullen Bryant.
Cooper = American is the "natural man"
Wide sale w/ Europeans
Action from Literature
John Greenleaf Whittier: Quaker, human freedom
James Russel Lowell (satirist)
Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
Louisa May Alcott: shaped by transcendentalism,
wrote to earn a living
Emily Dickinson: poet, recluse.
What do they have in common?
New England based, all in North (except for William Gillmore Sims)
Edgar Allen Poe
Failed, failed, failed (even at suicide!)
optimistic about American identity ==> prized more by Europeans
Nathaniel Hawthorne: Scarlet Letter, original sin.
Good vs. Evil themes.
Ignored at time of publication,
NOT UPBEAT, NEGATIVE.
Developing an American Identity
Distinctly American style.
British style => American style
Mostly practical until...
WAR OF 1812
Also: early Puritanism, the frontier