Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Tone vs. Mood
Transcript of Tone vs. Mood
Kids missed the bus.
Zeus ate my lesson plan.
What mood are you in?
Just like an author uses word choice and vivid imagery to set tone and mood, movie makers use dialogue, editing, music and lighting to establish a certain tone within their films.
Authors use word choice and vivid imagery to set the tone and mood in literature.
Tone is the author's
toward the subject or audience.
Mood is the emotional effect the audience feels.
Watch your tone young man!!!
"Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary......"
The Raven by Edgar Allen Poe
The author's tone or attitude can give clues to help determine literary themes
The tone can be positive, negative or neutral.
Some pieces of literature make you feel scared.....
Writers use many devices to create tone and mood including imagery, dialogue, setting and plot.
Think of moods as emotions
Just like your tone
someone else's mood...
...the author's tone has a great
influence on the mood.
Just like artists use color to set tone and mood,
movie makers use dialogue, editing, music and lighting to establish a certain tone within their films.
Positive Negative Neutral
“Ring Out, Wild Bells” by Alfred, Lord Tennyson
1. The word that best describes the tone of this poem is:
2. The word that best describes the mood of this poem is:
Analysis of Tone in Art
In speaking, we know that what we say may not be as important as how we say it.
Writers must rely upon words to set the tone
and mood in literature.
The Raven by Edgar Alan Poe
Red- What don't you understand?
Yellow- What questions do you have?
Green- One thing that you learned today.